Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R Soundbar not turning on with TV remote

(Topic created on: 22-06-2019 11:45 PM)
dantric
Apprentice
Options

Hey guys,

maybe this has been answered, maybe not but: I just got the Q90R soundbar and i love it. It's connect to a un55mu7600f TV via HDMI ARC (HDMI 3) and has a 4k blu ray (another samsung i think it's the 8500 or something) and a playstation 4 pro(4k) going into the two HDMI in on the soundbar.

I understand that connecting via HDMI ARC doesn't allow the TV and Soundbar to turn on with the TV remote, to do so you need to connect the soundbar to TV with optical. 

My question is why? Isn't the point of Anynet+to allow similar devices to easily connect and be controlled? Maybe I am misunderstanding Anynet+ . Are Anynet+ and ARC even the same thing? If I switch to a digital optical from the soundbar to the TV what functionality do i lose if any? Is the sound quality better with HDMI or optical? I understand it's somewhat subjective but still from a data point, which way is best?

Thanks

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
Thomasvdm
Student
Options

Omg, this actually worked for me also!

thank you so much

0 Likes
Alexandri
Pathfinder
Options

hey, do you connect your devices to the TV or to the Soundbar?

I have the same issue.

Connecting my Xbox One and Telekom Entertain Receiver to the Soundbar, that the starting the TV doesn't start the Soundbar.
If I connect all Devices to the TV, than the Soundbar will start automatically with my TV's remote.

The Problem is: I need to connect my receiver to the Soundbar because of Lip-sync Problems.

thank you guys.

samung Q85R and soundbar q80r

0 Likes
MonkeyM1nd
Apprentice
Options
Reading a few posts in wonder if this is related to the source seeing on the sound bar. You would have shifted from a hdmi source to d.in on the soundbar now. So maybe the soundbar isn't listening for the on control in that mode when off
0 Likes
destino101
First Poster
Options

I recently ran into this issue with a Q90R soundbar on a 82" Q80R TV.  I kept banging my head on why the soundbar was not turning ON with the TV remote.  I read one of the suggestions given about changing the source to TV.  That didn't work.  I finally moved my HDMI cables from the soundbar to my TV and left the optical cable connected between the TV and the soundbar and now the soundbar turns ON and OFF with the TV remote.  The only HDMI cable connected to my soundbar is the ARC connection that goes back to HDMI 4 ARC on TV side.  Not sure why it works that way, but it seems to be working now.  As previously stated, I did read the manual and it does state it only turns ON/OFF when the optical cable is connected.  Seems odd but it works.  Sound comes across great on HDMI connected devices. 

0 Likes
markchang
Apprentice
Options

you won't hear ATMOS if using optical cable.

0 Likes
destino101
First Poster
Options

I ran a Dolby Atmos test from a disc on PS4 Pro.  While the test ran, I disconnected the optical cable to see if the sound went away.  Much to my suprise the sound still came through the soundbar.  Could it be possible it's coming through the HDMI ARC connection I still have?

0 Likes
dantric
Apprentice
Options

That's exactly what's happening. 

As for my issue. I have just ARC from soundbar to Samsung smart TV. Ps4 pro and 4k hdr Blu-ray into the soundbar. Soundbar and TV turn on at the same time with one remote. Volume controls with one remote. 

I'm not really sure how are why it works unless there was some sort of software update... I generally don't read them, just update.

Make sure anynet+ is enabled on your TVs. And uh.... I dunno. Keep trying...? 🤷‍♂️

0 Likes
JohanvanMierlo
First Poster
Options

Same issue here with brand new Q800T soundbar. Because of lipsync issue in dolby mode of my Xfinity cable box/dvr I have to connect the HDMI to the soundbar firstand pass it through to the TV.  If not plugged in ARC HDMI 4 port TV still detects Atmos device and the apps like Netflix sound on TV won't go through Optical cable and soundbar doesn't receive sound.

I hope an update will come out that allows soundbar to automatically turn on in HDMI source when TV turns on while using only the HDMI Arc port.

0 Likes
GabrielBeatty
First Poster
Options

Found a Fix!

I hope this works for someone else because this has given me hours of pain. My setup is using HDMI arc.

After trying to reconnect the universal remote countless times I decided to wipe the TV cache and start over. (Home > settings > device manager > clear cache)

Turn soundbar on with soundbar remote.

Delete soundbar from bluetooth devices and deleted it from the universal remote. 

Turn off the tv, the soundbar should turn off. Turn the tv back on, the soundbar should also turn on.

I found that the soundbar had also reconnected in my settings. 

I hope this can work for someone else, I was considering refunding my soundbar.

0 Likes
Gerryd
Apprentice
Options

@GabrielBeatty wrote:

Found a Fix!

I hope this works for someone else because this has given me hours of pain. My setup is using HDMI arc.

After trying to reconnect the universal remote countless times I decided to wipe the TV cache and start over. (Home > settings > device manager > clear cache)

Turn soundbar on with soundbar remote.

Delete soundbar from bluetooth devices and deleted it from the universal remote. 

Turn off the tv, the soundbar should turn off. Turn the tv back on, the soundbar should also turn on.

I found that the soundbar had also reconnected in my settings. 

I hope this can work for someone else, I was considering refunding my soundbar.

My setup was working when I first bought it.  The tv Q80 qled and the sound bar q90r has firmware upgrades and this problem manifested itself. 

the sound bar will come on with the tv. 

soundbar is plugged into HDMI 4 arc input.  
appletv4k plugged into soundbar hdmi1

bell fibe tv plugged into soundbar hdmi2

appletv gets recognized as an HDMI-cec device by the tv and will change the soundbar source automatically when it's turned on, played or paused.  

the set top box from bell isn't recognized the same way.   I have to set the source to hdmi2 with the soundbar remote. 

the soundbar doesn't turn off if I turn the tv off 

0 Likes