Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R Soundbar not turning on with TV remote

(Topic created on: 26-08-2019 03:17 PM)
dantric
Apprentice
Options

Hey guys,

maybe this has been answered, maybe not but: I just got the Q90R soundbar and i love it. It's connect to a un55mu7600f TV via HDMI ARC (HDMI 3) and has a 4k blu ray (another samsung i think it's the 8500 or something) and a playstation 4 pro(4k) going into the two HDMI in on the soundbar.

I understand that connecting via HDMI ARC doesn't allow the TV and Soundbar to turn on with the TV remote, to do so you need to connect the soundbar to TV with optical. 

My question is why? Isn't the point of Anynet+to allow similar devices to easily connect and be controlled? Maybe I am misunderstanding Anynet+ . Are Anynet+ and ARC even the same thing? If I switch to a digital optical from the soundbar to the TV what functionality do i lose if any? Is the sound quality better with HDMI or optical? I understand it's somewhat subjective but still from a data point, which way is best?

Thanks

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
m-oc
Navigator
Options

So I’ve had loads of issues with my Sonos soundbar and just changed to the Q90R to go with my Q90R TV. Everything works fine except I can’t turn on the soundbar with the TV remote. It switches off but not on. Did you find a fix for this?  I’ve tried all the menu options I can find! 

Hugystyle
First Poster
Options

@m-oc wrote:

So I’ve had loads of issues with my Sonos soundbar and just changed to the Q90R to go with my Q90R TV. Everything works fine except I can’t turn on the soundbar with the TV remote. It switches off but not on. Did you find a fix for this?  I’ve tried all the menu options I can find! 

Same set up here and same result ...

0 Likes
dantric
Apprentice
Options

No I never did find a solution to this. 

For about two months, the TV remote was turning on both devices at the same time, but I don't know HOW I did it, if I even did anything. 

Anyway, then I turned on my ps4 and now it's stopped. So... Now when I turn on the TV the ps4 starts, but I don't want it to, can't seem to find where to stop that... Good times. 

JonnyOxford
First Poster
Options

I am having exactly the same issue. I have the Q90R soundbar and Q85R TV. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Samsung they reset everything and still the same. They recommend I take it to a local service centre?! Its less than two weeks old and it worked for the first week and a half.

I purchased both from Richer Sounds they recommended I bring the soundbar in to them to test. They plugged it in to a Q85R and it worked first.

Confusing and hugely disappointing from Samsung.

If anyone fixes the issue I would be grateful if it gets posted here.

Thanks,

m-oc
Navigator
Options

Looks like I am returning both for a different make as I’ve had enough!  

dantric
Apprentice
Options

So, weirdly enough. I figured out a way, though it's kind of unhelpful and makes no sense. 

I connected my appleTV to the television. Now the TV turns on, it defaults to the appleTV, which is fine whatever, AND the soundbar turns on at the same time as well, one remote controls appleTV, soundbar and TV.

So, try connecting an HDMI device to your TV directly, I dunno, maybe that'll work for some of you. I can't promise it will, but here we are. 

0 Likes
markchang
Apprentice
Options

I had the same problem, but I found a way to fix it.

1. Turn on TV, Click Home button from remote controller
2. Select source to TV

source.jpg

that's it, your soundbar will turn on and off with the control of the TV.

If you connected to soundbar with PS4, etc ...when you turn on the PS4, your TV will automatic power on and switch TV's source to soundbar, you have to manually switch it back to TV again.

m-oc
Navigator
Options

I don’t watch terrestrial TV. So could I just do this once and then the on/off will always work, even if I’m on an HDMI source? 

0 Likes
markchang
Apprentice
Options

I don't watch terrestrial TV either but netflix mostly, I don't know if there's any other way to do that.

0 Likes