Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

No surround sound - Only able to input Stereo to TV

(Topic created on: 06-01-2020 01:08 AM)
Moss93
Apprentice
Options

I bought a Q70R (product page in Swedish ) over the holidays, and I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system that I wish  to connect to this. The speaker system is connected to the TV using optical cable.

I can get the TV to output sound to the speaker, but I can't input anything other than Stereo sound to the TV (which of course means that my 5.1 system recieves a 2.0 signal).

I have tried this with both my PlayStation 4 and my computer. They both say that my TV only accepts stereo input.

This might be a TV settings issue, but I can't find any settings for this. User 'SjorsK' argues here that I should go into my TV's settings and set "Audio Format" to Bitstream, but I only have the option to change "Digital output Audio Format" to PCM or Dolby Digital.

Samsung support has been useless so far.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Moss93
Apprentice
Options

It kinda solved itself. I don't know why, but even though Windows says it's outputting Stereo, the sound from my speakers are 5.1 surround.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
AndrewL
Options
@Moss93: To troubleshoot the issue please go to Settings > Sound > Sound Output, and check to see if you're able to select your surround speakers from here. As an alternative approach, depending on the capability of your surround sound speaker system, please attempt to connect the speakers via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi by going to Bluetooth Speaker List or Wi-Fi Speaker Surround Setup. Let me know how you get on.
0 Likes
Moss93
Apprentice
Options

Thank you, but I am not sure what you mean. Are you asking if I can select my surround speakers from Settings > Sound > Sound Ouput > Bluetooth Speaker List?

My surround speakers do not have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capabilities.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Apologies for the confusion. Can you check to see if the speakers can be selected from Settings > Sound > Sound Output?
0 Likes
Moss93
Apprentice
Options

In Settings > Sound > Sound Output I can select TV Speaker, Optical, and Bluetooth Speaker List.

My surround system is connected to Optical.

0 Likes
Solution
Moss93
Apprentice
Options

It kinda solved itself. I don't know why, but even though Windows says it's outputting Stereo, the sound from my speakers are 5.1 surround.

0 Likes
Martin118
First Poster
Options

Hi Andrew, you seem to have some experience in this area. My problem is that I have configured surround sound over wifi 2.4GHz to MS550 sound barthe and pair Samsung AKG VL speakers.  TV completes configuration and passes test with output to AKGs, but no output when in operational mode.  I am using SmartThings App and the TV.

0 Likes
CarlH
Options
0 Likes
Martin118
First Poster
Options

Hi Carl,

It is a Samsung Series 5 - Model UE32M5620 which I am trying to drive the soundbar and AKGs from.

Regards

Martin

0 Likes