Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R: how to play iphone/iOS music through WIFI (not Bluetooth)?

(Topic created on: 31-05-2020 01:04 PM)
superwing
Student
Options

Hi Guys

I am new to HW-Q90R Soundbar. Few questions on the music playback..

1. How to actually play my iphone music through WIFI (not using Bluetooth)? the reason is i prefer prefer playback through wifi for higher quality music playback. I actually installed SmartThings apps but doesnt seems like there is option to choose to playback the music files from my iphone. I also installed SmartThings classic apps but it is just not responding, the last I installed the Samsung multiroom apps but the apps could not find the soundbar. 

2. Is the UHQ 32bit upscaling works from any music source such as bluetooth, HDMI and etc? 

3. Also i tried the spotify apps - i could not find the soundbar in the list of devices.. what am I missing?

4. Anyone know what is the "Virtual speaker on/off" means in the configuration?

Thanks in advance

superwing

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
CarlH
Options

Hi @superwing. What iPhone do you have? Is the Multiroom app up to date? This would be the correct app you're needed to use (not SmartThings). 

0 Likes
superwing
Student
Options

Hi CarlH

Thanks for the reply!

I am using iPhone 7 plus which the multiroom apps is up to date (with version 4132). I tried to add new speaker -> soundbar, it prompted me to press SPK ADD button on the soundbar which Q90R doesnt seems to have it.. Did you manage to connect using multiroom on the Q90R or Q80R?

thanks - superwing

0 Likes
Wllector
Apprentice
Options

I have used Multiroom for years to stream music to all my Samsung speakers. I recently added the HW-Q90R soundbar and Multiroom does not recognize it. Seems like Samsung is going backwards! I have been working on a solution for this for weeks. Many chats with Samsung support, but no help. They said I needed to use smartthings, so I bought a hub and still can't get Multiroom functionality. I need to find a solution soon or return the incredible sounding soundbar I just bought. Very disapointed with Samsung support and their design team. The new soundbar does not have the same functionality as their old one, but does sound great.

superwing
Student
Options

Thanks Wllector for the reply!

Yea, flagship soundbar with is unable to play a music thru wifi. Disapointed!

However, for now, i just used my old Apple TV (airplay) to stream the music thru the HDMI in. Surprisingly i found that the music quality is comparable with using BT vs apple tv airplay - Is the BT nowsaday that good? Or due to the UHQ 32bit up conversion?

thanks - superwing

0 Likes
alejon
First Poster
Options

"Yea, flagship soundbar with is unable to play a music thru wifi. Disapointed!"

You nailed it. Does someone from Samsung read this thread???

Or perhaps they just give a *****? It's June 2020, stil nothing works.

mitchellsx
Journeyman
Options

Yeah agree with this thread, there needs to be some sort of Wi-fi Apple Music support, for such a premium soundbar you would expect features, fixes to be added quicker. Seems support is non existent and when you contact support they never really have an answer This soundbar has so much potential but let down by Samsung.

Gil80
Pioneer
Options

It's not new. Shamsung is behaving as it always did. 
build good hardware and ditch it quickly. 
they always had good hardware married with poor poor software. I've seen it in many of their devices. 

Since this soundbar is more than a 1 years old, that's it. No more support. 

expect zero updates and zero added functions to the app, like more gain values than +6 on rear speakers and separate the speakers instead of grouping them. 

0 Likes
mitchellsx
Journeyman
Options

Yeah totally agree, the amount of times I have messaged them about issues, nothing ever gets sorted. My 30 days return period end in a weeks time, may look at getting the LG SN11RG.

0 Likes
Gil80
Pioneer
Options
I don’t have technical issues with it, other than low volume on rears, but that’s arguable by which content I’m playing.

Have I known before, I would have probably bought the LG as well.

In Australia, I cannot just return it because I don’t like it. It has to have a fault of some sort. I hope it will fail soon. I just got it last Friday.
0 Likes