Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R Soundbar Dolby Vision issues

(Topic created on: 20-09-2019 03:39 PM)
LTCorwin
Student
Options

I recently purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-Ray player, and a Panasonic TX-58GX800B TV  along with a Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar.

I have set the equipment up as described in the manual, with High Speed HDMI cables purchased at  the same time.

However, when I connect the 4K player (sand/or my Xbox One X which is also a Dolby Vision enabled source) to my TV via the sound bar, I am unable to pass a Dolby Vision HDR Encoded signal through to the TV.  If I connect either device direct  to the TV, then Dolby Vision is passed through properly and correctly.

The soundbar does pass through standard 4K, HDR10 and HDR10+ signals correctly, it just does not pass through Dolby Vision.

I have properly enabled Dolby Vision for the 4K player and Xbox during these test.

Should the soundbar be passing through the Dolby Vision signal or is it incompatible with that?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
AndrewL
Options
@LTCorwin: Samsung TV's feature HDR10+, their answer to Dolby Vision, however Dolby Vision itself is not supported. Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause you.
LTCorwin
Student
Options

@AndrewL I know the TVs don't support it, but my question is about the soundbar. Does it support Dolby Vision pass through?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@LTCorwin: I have read that some review sites were able to achieve Dolby Vision passthrough via the soundbar with certain external devices, although I can't provide more detail at this time. Let me pass this on to our AV Technical Department, and I will let you know if they're able to shed more light on this.
LTCorwin
Student
Options
Is there an update for this yet?
0 Likes
Kgb3366
First Poster
Options

I'm still not getting DV pass-through on my HWQ90, everything is now connected to the TV just ARC from TV to HWQ90 now , which limits the bandwidth for Atmos etc 

many solutions??? 

0 Likes
100pat
Pioneer
Options
I found for a different sound bar that it would pass, via ARC, a Chroma 4:2:0 signal but not a 4:4:4 one. Presumably a bandwidth issue. I resorted to using optical sound rather than HDMI. It wasn’t easy to figure out so you have my sympathy. Sorry if that’s not much help!
0 Likes
JFarol
Journeyman
Options

I'm getting Dolby vision passthrough on the Q90R soundbar. Currently running with the LG Nanocell 9000 series. 

0 Likes
JFarol
Journeyman
Options
Yes. My Xbox one x and Apple TV 4K are directly plugged into the soundbar and it seems like Dolby vision is working.
0 Likes
Cobra617
First Poster
Options

Did you have to do anything special for the Apple TV 4K? Also, can you tell me which input it is connected to? To switch inputs on mine (ATV4K is on HDMI2 currently), I would have to take it down and feed more cable. I'd rather not do that unless I know that it will fix the problem. 

0 Likes