Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

HW-Q80R - VIRTUAL Speaker function???

(Topic created on: 07-01-2020 11:34 AM)
MrTest
Explorer
Options

Can anyone shed any light on what the VIRTUAL Speaker function does in the SURROUND setting on the HW-Q80R?

Is it simply a case that any anything in stereo is effectively upmixed to also output to additional speakers?

I don't have additional rear speakers connected and simply the bar itself.

Cheers!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Solution
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @MrTest 

The Virtual Speaker function is for use with Surround Speakers. You can find more info on this on page 29 of the user manual here.

0 Likes
Leapfrog
Student
Options

Sorry, but the reference to page 29 does not explain anything about what the "feature" actually does.  I can't tell any difference with it on or off and I do have the rear speakers.

jobean
Navigator
Options

I searched for more explanation on this function myself and I found that 'Virtual speaker' creates 'virtual surround' so simulate rear speakers for people who don't have rears. Still I think it is strange that this function is available on my HW Q90R with rears..

MrTest
Explorer
Options

This is why I was a little confused in the first place as I thought it would be similating in some way surround content to the other channels / speakers (setups with no rear speakers)

Manual states: 

If Surround Speakers are connected, select REAR LEVEL and then use the Up/Down
buttons to adjust the volume within a -6 to +6 range. The VIRTUAL Speaker function
can be turned ON/OFF by using the Up/Down buttons.

So, if this does nothing with the surround speakers (as noted by @Leapfrog). 

Yeah, would be good to understand what this does...

Prevail
First Poster
Options

0 Likes
Resi97
Apprentice
Options

To this date there is no official explanation what the „Virtual Speaker Function“ does. I have the Q930b and the virtual setting actually only makes a difference when using „surround“ mode. When using it on dolby Atmos content you merely hear the rear speakers. But for 5.1 and 7.1 contents it seems to do something, but maybe not something good. @ChrisM  Could you please deliver some answers on that function? The manual does not explain it.

0 Likes