Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q70R + HW-Q70R sync issue

(Topic created on: 17-11-2019 11:01 AM)
DavidinScotland
Explorer
Options

I've just bought the SAMSUNG QE55Q90R television + HW-Q70R sound bar and getting terrible lip sync delay on some tv channels. If i listen to the tv through its own speakers there is no problem, but once I switch on the soundbar there is a terrible lip sync issue. Does anyone know how to resolve this please?

0 Likes
96 REPLIES 96
Garry06321
Journeyman
Options

Yeah your right there is loads of complaints about this , but like you said Samsung seem to think they dont know anything about it , I've also spoken to sky about this and they are the same,  they have offered to replace my soundbar but the issue is still going to be there 

0 Likes
MJPROB
Journeyman
Options
It seems to me that there are complaints about many manufacturers having problems with the hdmi arc. I think it's about time that universal coding should be put in place so end user would not get these problems. Very disappointing that you dont get the equipment does not do what it supposed to do. The way I see it, it's a software problem.
0 Likes
Garry06321
Journeyman
Options

I've just been advised to connect my Sky Q to my soundbar via HDMI and then my soundbar to my tv via hdmi with arc , fingers crossed I think this has worked 

0 Likes
wh187
Student
Options

What was the other manufacturer you chose? 

0 Likes
Billywizzo
Explorer
Options

I went for the LG C9. Not got a soundbar but I did try my old soundbar that seemed to work without any sync issues. 
I am not sure what soundbar to get to match the tv, but not in a rush as the tv sound seems ok at the moment.

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options

@Billywizzo wrote:

I went for the LG C9. Not got a soundbar but I did try my old soundbar that seemed to work without any sync issues. 
I am not sure what soundbar to get to match the tv, but not in a rush as the tv sound seems ok at the moment.

I have my eye on the C9 but the only thing putting me off is having to consciously be wary of what I watch due to the burn-in factor. I watch a lot of Sky Sports News and that presents a massive problem. Paying so much for a TV, I'd expect to have no concerns about what I watch on it. There's also the issue of LG leaving you on your own beyond the initial 12 months and it's after this timeframe when burn-in is most likely to occur. The widest opinion is to do a screen refresh every 9 hours, keep the brightness down and to avoid brightly lit static on-screen graphics for extended periods.

Having said that, the fact that LG have gone with HDMI 2.1 and eARC on their 2019 models and beyond, that makes them a cut above in my opinion. I was stunned to learn that even the forthcoming Samsung 2020 series will still have HDMI 2.0 support with no eARC; Samsung defend this position by stating that they offer 'HDMI 2.1 features'... just not the HDMI 2.1 port itself. There's also the added frustration of customers who purchased a Q950 model being able to get a free HDMI 2.1 upgrade to their One Connect boxes (if the reports I've been reading carry weight), which leaves Q90 and lower customers feeling left behind big time.

I imagine that all 2021 models will update the hardware to 2.1/eARC and that, for me, would make it a very bad time to purchase a new TV. I also have it in the back of my mind that due to the relatively low support for UHD broadcasts - specifically in linear broadcast TV - I have a niggling feeling that a lot of broadcasters might even bypass 4K UHD completely and we will see more 8K UHD broadcasts due to the speed at which the equipment is both being manufactured and shipping to customers.

It's a murky world for those of us who want the best for a premium price! I sometimes wish I was happy with middle of the road equipment and none of these concerns would be an issue! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Billywizzo
Explorer
Options

Gary06321

Did that work.
Did they say what to do if other external devices were having sound issues.
I had SkyQ and a PS4 so connecting sky direct to the soundbar worked but then the PS4 still was out of sync with Dolby Digital output from the PS4.

0 Likes
Garry06321
Journeyman
Options

I got this info off another post so tried it and it seems ok , I'm afraid not sure about PS4 I only have my Sky Q connected to my soundbar 

0 Likes
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options

I've read this thread with great interest.

I have the 65" Q85R TV and Q80R soundbar with Virgin Media TiVo 6 box, a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch.

I've replaced all my cables with HDMI 2.0/2.1 (I got a couple of £16 cables on Amazon for ARC and TiVo box and also a short EX-Pro 8K cable referred to earlier in this thread) but still getting lip sync issues with Virgin if Dolby output is on rather than PCM.

I'm going to try connecting TiVo directly to the soundbar but I'd prefer having everything through the TV as it's so much easier to control (one remote).

I'm surprised that no one else has the issue I'm having with the PS4 - it 'blocks' the ARC handshake, so if it's plugged in when I turn the TV on, the soundbar won't switch itself on, and even when I switch it on myself, I can't find it in the audio settings. This even happens when the PS4 is completely switched off (not in sleep mode). As soon as I unplug the HDMI out of the PS4 (or the PS VR box, tried both), the soundbar appears in the list of audio devices and ARC connects just fine. 

Samsung Support told me to connect the PS4 directly to the TV (not the soundbar), I've tried both ways and still the same ARC 'blocking' occurs.

This is annoying but the only fix I've found is to leave the PS4 unplugged when I turn everything on, once the ARC connects, if I plug in the PS4 everything works fine. I don't use the PS4 much anyway, but it's annoying to have to plug it in every time I want to use it.

Yesterday I updated my TV to the newest version that was released 22nd Jan (had to do it via USB drive, as the TV won't find the update itself) and had terrible problems connecting to the soundbar (would connect for 2 seconds then sound would revert back to TV speakers and wouldn't be able to see the soundbar despite PS4 being unplugged), a live chat and then remote assistance with Samsung Support solved this (he reset the HDMI ports? Something to do with EDID).

Not sure if this update has changed much, I am able to get Atmos on Prime and Netflix (not tried Apple TV yet) at least.

0 Likes
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options

Really weird, further to my previous post, I plugged the Virgin box into the soundbar rather than the TV and enabled Dolby. Any channel that has Dolby sounded like it was underwater, I tried different audio modes and didn't help.

Back to being plugged into the TV and PCM mode...:thinking-face:

0 Likes