Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-N950 Doesn't Pair with SmartThings app + rear surround not working

(Topic created on: 15-01-2019 11:38 AM)
TBass
Student
Options

I have read the post/thread RE the 850 model and have the exact same issue - the speaker's fail to connect to the SmartThings app as per this post (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/HW-N850-Won-t-Pair-with-SmartThings/td-p/660269).

It fails EVERY TIME at exactly 39%. I was wondering if anyone ever got any response from Samsung on how to fix this or if it has been fixed. I'm extremely frustrated that almost $2000 worth of speakers have such poor functionality. "Smart"things my a**. 

On visual Dolby 7.1 surround sound tests the two rear speakers also do not play the correct sounds corresponding to the speaker's that are playing on screen. The audio is still coming from the soundbar. I imagined that the app may be used to specify which speakers are the rear channels, but obviously the app doesn't work so I'm not sure if this is even possible? The rear speakers do play some sound in movies or watching tv though so it could also be the audio-visual soundcheck isn't suited for this set up.

Does anyone have a link to test such settings or did anyone have any luck hearing from Samsung?

Thank you! 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TBass wrote:

I have read the post/thread RE the 850 model and have the exact same issue - the speaker's fail to connect to the SmartThings app as per this post (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/HW-N850-Won-t-Pair-with-SmartThings/td-p/660269).

It fails EVERY TIME at exactly 39%. I was wondering if anyone ever got any response from Samsung on how to fix this or if it has been fixed. I'm extremely frustrated that almost $2000 worth of speakers have such poor functionality. "Smart"things my a**. 

On visual Dolby 7.1 surround sound tests the two rear speakers also do not play the correct sounds corresponding to the speaker's that are playing on screen. The audio is still coming from the soundbar. I imagined that the app may be used to specify which speakers are the rear channels, but obviously the app doesn't work so I'm not sure if this is even possible? The rear speakers do play some sound in movies or watching tv though so it could also be the audio-visual soundcheck isn't suited for this set up.

Does anyone have a link to test such settings or did anyone have any luck hearing from Samsung?

Thank you! 

I thought the Samsung TV's were Dolby digital+ 5.1, not 7.1.

0 Likes
TBass
Student
Options

Regardless...same issue with 5.1 test 

0 Likes
winebae
Explorer
Options

Just reset and reboot when it bugs you. I reset it pressing '+' & '-' and holding them for around 5 secs and got it worked.

Thirty some % must mean that the phone and the soundbar did not recognize each other well. Once I pressed '-'on the soundbar, the gauge started moving again and it asked me the pw of my router.  

0 Likes
Madmaus
Navigator
Options

I have got the same problem. Resetting won't work. Only goes to 39% and then n error.

Galaxy S9.

0 Likes
WPB
Apprentice
Options
Exact same issue stopping at 39%. Anyone got any suggestion?
Tried resetting, firmware update, 2.4, 5ghz, hotspot, restarting router, 3 different devices (didn't even want to install on an iPad) ....
Nothing seems to work. Really frustrating, I just returned an LG SK10Y for another issue hoping the N950 would work better.
0 Likes
Madmaus
Navigator
Options

I managed to get it working with my girlfriends phone (galaxy S8).

Not sure what the problem was. But after first installation I did an factory reset and then it worked also on my phone. 

Keep the soundbar on wifi,  connect to the same wifi network, watch the smart thing app it asked me to press - once.

0 Likes
WPB
Apprentice
Options

Started all over again. Logged out of Samsung account, reinstalled the app. Updated firmware via USB to 1005. Shut down router, N950, powered up router, waited for network. Powered on N950, started the app. Now it asked me to allow the microphone to be used. Accepted, soundbar connected fine. Don't know what fixed it, but finally happy. The app is pretty useless anyway (can't even adjust rear speaker volume seperately) except for music over wifi. Looks like spotify can cast music to it but it must be simple wifi playback, works like a charm.

0 Likes
tomi_h
Apprentice
Options

Unplug the subwoofer if rear speakers are dead. Just watched Infinity War with Atmos with silent rear speakers. After finishing and feeling disappointed with the sounds, I though of trying the id resetting, did not work. Then decided to unplug subwoofer and the sounds came alive. It must act as some sort of amplifier for the rear speakers. I wonder why Samsung cannot help since many people complain on Australia and US forums also.

Click volume up key from the soundbar if stuck in smartthings connecting(39%). The app is supposed to inform about it but it did not for me until some update.

0 Likes
perttus
First Poster
Options

I had exactly the same issue and I finally managed to connect the Soundbar with SmartThings Android app by manually adding Microphone permissions for the app. I didn't prompt it at all, only Location was allowed before.

0 Likes