Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

HW-K960 Firmware update

(Topic created on: 11-12-2018 07:39 PM)
AlbertJMahakas
Apprentice
Options

Anyone care to elaborate, how can I get the current firmware information out from HW-K960? 

SmartThings app is not working with this device. Sync does not work at all. And with Multiroom app, I cannot find any device information, however I can get the device connected.

I see that the latest firmware from SAMSUNG is from 04/2018. Has anyone tried the manual update via USB? Should I have NTFS or FAT32 filesystem, and how can I follow the steps? As far as I know, there's only the limited scrolling built-in text bar. Will that be the only way to follow the process?

All help and comments are appreciated.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Talí
Helping Hand
Options
Hi Albert,

FAT32 should be the right format.

Can you follow the step on page 33-34 in the manual?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201703/20170320130326013/HW-K960_XE_161226.pdf

If I read correctly you extract the file to USB and while soundbar is turned off you plug in the USB and when turning it on it will automaticly upgrade your device.

---------
:white-medium-star:Never gonna give you up!:white-medium-star:
Mvg,
T.K.
AlbertJMahakas
Apprentice
Options

Thanks. Actually succesfully updated firmware via multiroom app. Somehow it was now available via network.

But still I have some issues with Atmos. 

I have the following setup. Nvidia Shield -> Q9FN <- HW-K960. And when playing media directly via Shield, Atmos is not enabled. Found a topic that 2018 Q9FN does not support Atmos via ARC? So I have to connect Shield directly to Soundbar?

I also read that with PCM DD+, I should get Atmos. So If I use the same configuration, but instead of ARC, I use optical cable towards HW-K960,  I can then be able to get Atmos? 

Anyone here with similar setup?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AlbertJMahakas wrote:

Thanks. Actually succesfully updated firmware via multiroom app. Somehow it was now available via network.

But still I have some issues with Atmos. 

I have the following setup. Nvidia Shield -> Q9FN <- HW-K960. And when playing media directly via Shield, Atmos is not enabled. Found a topic that 2018 Q9FN does not support Atmos via ARC? So I have to connect Shield directly to Soundbar?

I also read that with PCM DD+, I should get Atmos. So If I use the same configuration, but instead of ARC, I use optical cable towards HW-K960,  I can then be able to get Atmos? 

Anyone here with similar setup?

I also have a shield and I do know optical will not work to get Atmos. It needs to be HDMI pass through the sound bar or receiver to get Atmos. I use Kodi as a media player and as long as you go into kodi settings and enable pass through it should work. It does not seem like the TV can pass through atmos. I downloaded dolby samples off the web to check (google search).

One thing I really am impressed with the shield is the updates just been updated to Android 8, and its now a few years old, wish Smsung would do that with their Tizen system.

Solution
AlbertJMahakas
Apprentice
Options

Ok so I changed to Shield -> HW-K960 -> Q9FN and Atmos is now working.

About the overall performance: Previously had studio monitors as 5.1 and I have to say this soundbar is a beast! Works like a charm in a small room I have nowadays (~25m2). And the bass level is more than overwhelming! 

Will be interesting to see how my neighbours are going to react 😉

Talí
Helping Hand
Options
Good to hear it worked!

Have fun blasting your neighbourhood with Mozart! ^-^/

---------
:white-medium-star:Never gonna give you up!:white-medium-star:
Mvg,
T.K.
johnjensen
Explorer
Options

You must connect your Shield with HDMI to get ATMOS. ARC and optical can't do ATMOS. ARC-e can do it and think the N950 has it but only LG OLED TV and Sony Bravia KD-XXAF9 TV has ARC-e with HDMI 2.0x. 

0 Likes