Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 28-08-2018 12:15 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

There are such things, but I'd hazard a guess there's more too it than that? 

Is there any other use of that port for compatible soundbar?

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Like i said, SWA-9000 rear speakers use a WiFi dongle to connect to the soundbar, it won't work even with a connector if the soundbar doesn't support them. They connect directly with the soundbar, just like the wireless subwoofer without your home's WiFi network. There used to be SWA-8000 set that worked the similiar way with some K and J series soundbar models, K450 if i remember correctly. The top of the line like K650 were using Radiant speakers as rears, but since Samsung is back with SWA-9000 and dongle for all their Sound+ soundbars (MS650, MS750, MS6500), and also this years models i guess it didn't worked as they planned.

My K650 is currently on the wall in my bedroom, and i got MS650. For MS650 you can use both Radiants and SWA9000 as rears, but Radiant's are plagued with all the problems as with K650 (and even more). I use my R3's in stereo mode for music. They are perfect if you are moving around the house as the sound is omni directtional. 

SWA-9000 works perfectly with MS650. The lag is gone, they are loud, you can still adjust setting and change sound modes with the remote. You can even turn them  on and off while using the remote.

So if you now own SWA-9000 set you can buy a soundbar to match them :winking-face: MS6500 is the curved one i think. I can guarantee that this combination will work as it should, and it even plays DTS 5.1 which is used by most BluRay discs if you connect the soundbar with HDMI cable to your TV (somehow WiFi connection doesn't  support full DTS 5.1). You have to switch from Dolby to DTS in TV's settings every time you change the codec though. Also for some reason all the newest Samsung tv's won't even play DTS.. they only support Dolby. 

Of course there's a chance that one of the future updates will break everything, and Samsung will never fix it because that's how they roll! 

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

>Is there any other use of that port for compatible soundbar?

Alright, i'm looking at my K650 and i think it's just a service port, not the one for WiFi dongle.

SWA-9000s is compatible with Sound+ soundbars, but in the manual of SWA-8000s it says compatible with:

HW-K360 HW-K450 HW-K550 HW-J6000R HW-JM4000 HW-K369 HW-K460 HW-K551 HW-J6001R HW-JM4000C HW-K390 HW-K490 HW-K560 HW-J6010R HW-J6090R HW-KM36 HW-KM45 HW-K561 HW-J6011R HW-KM36C HW-KM45C HW-K590 HW-J4000

So i guess it won't work

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

Yea our K650 cannot use the SWA-8000. I have left my firmware alone for a long while now on my R1's and K650 since they have been working well. My next TV and sound system will not be Samsung, that is for sure.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi all

Mine has also been working fine for a long time now. I do have some issues with quiet dialog on netflix but this seems to be a netflix issue as some programs and films are fine. 

Lee 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Apologies to all for asking a question that may well appear somewhere in the 156 pages of this thread....

I currently have a Q7(2017), a HWMS650 soundbar, a UBD  9500 BluRay Player (Yep - went bonkers on Samsung!) and have just purchased 2 x R1 Speakers.

All are running the latest firmware (as far as I know). The bluray is connected through the soundbar via ARC.

I have set up surround sound through the TV - connecting/configuring the 2 x speakers and the soundbar - which was achieved easily.  I have (in the TV settings) HDMI Audio input set to PCM, and Audio Digital output set to Dolby (when watching normal Sky movies). (Not sure whether this is the 'correct/best' settings but I cannot tell any difference if I select Bitstream, fail to really understand the difference in quality/options and can find nothing online in various forums that would sway me one way or the other).  The audio quality seems fine - voices clear and explosions/rumbles etc being pleasingly 'bassy' - when watching sky. I have yet to test it using a BluRay/DVD disc.

Question is - how do I now know if I have 5:1 surround sound, whether the speakers/soundbar are being utilised to their full potential or whether there are any tweaks to the above that may result in a better audio environment?

Additionally is there 'a film of choice' that can be used to test the surround capabilities and whether it is working correctly.

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Hi! 

I've linked surround test files, just few posts before. You should set hdmi to bitstream - - - > Dolby or bitstream - - - > DTS if you are wanting something from a bluray. You have to switch it every time you change codec.

I also have MS650 now, and there are two major problems with R speakers as rears. Sound volume on them mismatches with the Soundbar. With rears on +6 in multiroom app they are about equal at 50/100 and and get exponentially louder from this point. At 30/100 they are a lot more quiet than the Soundbar.

The other, and more annoying problem is lag. With Soundbar plugged through hdmi arc and surround group created with multiroom app there's about 200ms lag. It's something you can't adjust. It's better if you use WiFi connection but with wifi you can't play DTS 5.1 for some reason. 

I've kept my R3s for music, and got dedicated rear speakers for MS650 - SWA 9000S. They connect directly with the Soundbar through a wifi dongle (you have to plug it into your Soundbar) and work like a charm. There's no lag, you can control them with Soundbars remote, you can actually change sound modes or use Smart mode with rears still working unlike with multiroom surround. You don't have to use multiroom app at all (but you can still control them, the new menu appears when you click on MS650) 

I have them pretty far from a couch in 35m^² living room and they sound about equal to Soundbar with +3 volume on them. 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Hi PJ - Thanks for the info. Will give the soundfile a play when I get a chance and see how it goes.

i have found a bit of an issue that I cannot figure...

I had my soundbar connected through HDMI Arc, with a bluray player and then connected in my 2 R1 speakers using the create surround feature through my TV and BluRay player over wireless. This was not a problem when playing/viewing TV from Sky/TV. However, when I then played a DVD/BR and selected Surround as the option the screen blanked, and generally the entire system baulked - requiring the BR player to be turned off to reset the system.

I have since disconnected the HDMI lead between the player and the soundbar - connecting the player directly to the TV and bringing in the soundbar and 2 x R1s on wireless only - which seems to work fine. Just a bit concerned I am now missing something audio wise?

0 Likes
Richierich99
Pathfinder
Options

H all

I've got the following..

Ks658000 TV

Ms750 soundbar

R3 speakers for surround

700 Samsung subwoofer.

I've currently got hdmi arc in from soundbar to TV..

How do I set up the r3s as surround while in hdmi arc?

Dont want to use wi-fi for everything cause it's so unreliable. 

Thx

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Rich,

I don't think you can. To set it up for surround I think you have to connect all three together wirelessly as a surround sound group - you cannot connect the soundbar as an arc connection then the two speakers to work with it on wifi.

To be honest apart from the odd glitch I haven'texperienced any problems - the only thing I have found is in surround mode you cannot select sports/movies etc - it is just surround.

0 Likes