Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 25-06-2017 12:54 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
leelazer
Navigator
Options

All

Where are you based. I have no test pattern on my Netflix. I am in the UK. If you are in the US I will have to connect via my VPN so I can access the US Netflix library.  

Lee 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Im on Netflix now watching a planet earth documentary narrated by David Attenborough. If I place my hand on the sub when he is talking the sub is supporting his voice. I can't remember who it was that said to try this as they had no sub support???  

Lee

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Ok, so none of the films I have tested on Netflix that claim to have a 5.1 sound track habe sub support for voice.  Time to try amazon prime. 

Lee 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi All

The plot thickens.  I have now tried star trek into darkness on Netflix. From my hard drive on kodi, from blueray from my PS4 and xbox one and 4K bluray from my xbox one.  In the opening scene where kirk is presenting an artifact to a group of aliens there is zero sub support for kirk's voice on all platforms.  However, when the aliens speak there is sub support. I am wondering if the vocal range of the human voice doesn't require sub support in many cases.  I doubt mine would. Lol. I don't feel when watching movies that voice is lacking low end punch. If I hadn't been touching the sub to check I wouldn't have noticed that it wasn't adding to the mix.  This is a tough one indeed as very low processed voice like the aliens and optimus Prime ect seem to have dub support. David Attenborough's voice was the exception on Netflix in that the sub was supporting.  Can someone else confirm? 

Lee 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

Notsamsung

I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled. 

The soundbar has pretty small speakers inside so the amount of bass it can produce will always be limited. Therefore it makes sense that even if no signal is specifically sent to the sub channel in the Dolby Digital stream, the active crossover in the soundbar should route something to the sub to support the sound for all the front channels. 

I dont expect the same behaviour for the rear channels as the soundbar does not know what frequency range the rears can reproduce (different for R1/R3/R5)

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

My post and the manual are completely in agreement but the information in the manual is incomplete and does not fully explain the implications of these settings...

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

I miss wires 😞

I will do some testing tonight Lee...........

Sorry for the lamens talk but is the centre channel not mainly for speach, and maybe this is why it's different to left/right front channels and has less support? 

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@simon_w wrote:

Notsamsung

I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled. 

The soundbar has pretty small speakers inside so the amount of bass it can produce will always be limited. Therefore it makes sense that even if no signal is specifically sent to the sub channel in the Dolby Digital stream, the active crossover in the soundbar should route something to the sub to support the sound for all the front channels. 

I dont expect the same behaviour for the rear channels as the soundbar does not know what frequency range the rears can reproduce (different for R1/R3/R5)

This is a bug then given that it works on the m650 and lacks crossover.

That's on addition to the low volume when using DD. 

How do we log a bug with Samsung? 

Samsung,  are you reading this? 

Samsung claims for the ms650: 'Samsung also reckons its dedicated centre channel improves voice clarity compared with traditional soundbars, as the sound comes from a single unit with no subwoofer to muddy the water.'

I they got it working for the ms650. So why can't they get it working for the k650?

Simon,

You need to explain your claims.  My TV manual differs to your claims.

HDMI Audio Format.

Sets the format of the audio input signal so that it is suitable for the external device connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports.  

Audio Format. 

Selects tbe digital audio output (S/PDIF) format.  The available formats depend on the input source.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Lee it was me:)

Not all David Attenboroughs documentaries are 5.1 on Netflix. Planet Earth is sadly in stereo. 

The ones with 5.1 are Life Story, Africa and Life. Try those with soundbar alone (no rears) and switch between Standard mode and Movie mode. You will see what i'm talking about :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
>This is a bug then given that it works on the m650 and lacks crossover.
That's on addition to the low volume when using DD.

MS-650 does not have a separate subwoofer (you will be able to buy a separate subwoofer later this year for it), it has 3 speakers per channel - sub woofer, mid woofer and high range tweeter.
It's a little different in terms of active crossover because it doesn't have to send anything wirelessy to a separate woofer.
The way it behaves will probably change when you plug a wireless subwoofer to it.
Granted, all channels of MS-650 sound exactly the same and get the same bass levels i every test i made. I see no reason why K-650 should be different.

What i intend to check is how other samsung soundbars with separate subwoofer behave.
0 Likes