Support

Open search

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

First Poster

@simon_w wrote:

My setup is no HDMI or optical - just WiFi to the soundbar and R1s but with a Samsung Hub

Netfix, Amazon Prime, YouTube via the TVs apps and Live TV (so oldschool!)

Cheap Smsung BluRay player (without the extra wifi ability)

4k BT TV  box over HDMI

What is worth noting is that both the picture and the sound settings on the TV are per source so if youre using bitstream and dolby digital you need to revisit the settings for each source and check what they are...

What I understand is that the HDMI Audio Format settings have no effect on a soundbar conneceted over WiFi

HDMI Audio Format | PCM sends uncompressed stereo (2.0) over HDMI (and also over the optical connection)

HDMI Audio Format | Bitsream sends compressed multichannel audio (either Dolby or DTS) over HDMI

Audio Format is the one that effects the Soundbar over WiFi

Audio Format | PCM sends uncompressed stereo (2.0) to the soundbar

Audio Format | Dolby Digital sends a compressed dolby formatted bitstream that can be 2.0 or 5.1 depending on the source.

On my TV the other two options of DTS and DTS Neo 2:5 are greyed out

To reiterate what I have said before - but with careful use of pseudo not faux ;-)

If you are set on Audio Format | PCM the soundbar will create a pseudo surround presentation based on the stereo content.  This always seems to have plenty of bass in the centre channel.

If you are set on Audio Format | Dolby Digital and the source is stereo (2.0) you will get stereo on the soundbar with no reprocessing.  This always seems to have plenty of bass too.

If you are set on Audio Format | Dolby Digital and the source is surround (5.1) you will get discrete surround on the soundbar with no reprocessing.  This may show a lack of bass in the centre channel depending how the Dolby Digital bitstream is authored and how the soundbar interprets this.

It is unusual to only put dialogue in the centre channel - normally it is spread between L C R equally and will appear as if in the centre.  This is a legacy from when 4.0 was a common set up (no centre channel and no sub).  

In the authoring you have to specify what type of speaker the surround mix is intended for - small / medium / large - this changes the way the sub channel is used as often instead of being sent as a discrete channel it is entirely derived in the surround processor.  We dont know exactly how the K650 handles the sub channel but it would appear that it is predominantly derived from the front left and front right channels and not from the centre channel - this is apparent on the test file that Lee circulated a while back - lots of sub on L/R - none on C or surround L/R - but I'm still not convinced this is a real world problem as I have yet to hear actual programme that is weak in centre dialogue...

Comparing the PCM setting to the Dolby Digital setting is like comparing apples and pears - the overall volume will be different as will the surround presentation - and percived bass is very level dependent.

Similarly comparing the K650/R1s with another surround setup is tricky because we dont know how the two systems differ in the way the sub channel is derived.

What I will try and do over the weekend is author a short Dolby Digital test file myself which might help shed some light on this - one where I can control from the metadata how the sub behaves... I will circulate this for others to try out if I can get it to work !!

That's not what my Samsung TV manual says.

The manual says:

HDMI Audio Format.

Sets the format of the audio input signal so that it is suitable for the external device connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports.  

Audio Format. 

Selects tbe digital audio output (S/PDIF) format.  The available formats depend on the input source.

Oh,  the obscurantism.....

Navigator
Bryantay, yeah Netflix test pattern is also a good way to demonstrate the issue!

Simon, thank you so much. This proves my point that the issue is not related to dolby but it's a broken internal active crossover.

Moreover it sounds like artificially cut signal so I'm quite sure the center channel actually undergoes active crossover but the low frequencies never reach the sub.
I'm quite sure it's not a real life limitation, it's just a bug or it's broken, but I'm gonna find out for sure.

Gonna put the file on a pendrive and test it with other samsung 3.1 soundbars that use wifi subwoofer instead of dedicated bass speakers like k550 or ms 550 from the new series.

I hope I can still find k550 somewhere, it's just k650 but without access to multiroom app and rears done my swa 8000. If it works fine it will be a clear indication that k650 is broken

As for real content, I notice it in everything I watch. I guess tv shows and movies on streaming services are mastered the second way.
Navigator

Hi Peejay

It could be a streaming media issue. If it is though they shouldn't advertise it as being 5.1 as that implies a separately encoded sub channel.  If the sub track is embedded into the front left and right channel it's a bit naughty lol. I haven't tried the Netflix test pattern yet but I will.  :-). I watch most of my movies either direct from bluray or from my hard drive via Kodi. I ripped them all myself and with the multi channel soundtracks in tact. My separates system is still at my parents house all set up so next time I am there I will do some testing on that to see how it differs from my soundbar setup.  

Lee 

Navigator

All

Where are you based. I have no test pattern on my Netflix. I am in the UK. If you are in the US I will have to connect via my VPN so I can access the US Netflix library.  

Lee 

Navigator

Im on Netflix now watching a planet earth documentary narrated by David Attenborough. If I place my hand on the sub when he is talking the sub is supporting his voice. I can't remember who it was that said to try this as they had no sub support???  

Lee

Highlighted
Navigator

Ok, so none of the films I have tested on Netflix that claim to have a 5.1 sound track habe sub support for voice.  Time to try amazon prime. 

Lee 

Navigator

Hi All

The plot thickens.  I have now tried star trek into darkness on Netflix. From my hard drive on kodi, from blueray from my PS4 and xbox one and 4K bluray from my xbox one.  In the opening scene where kirk is presenting an artifact to a group of aliens there is zero sub support for kirk's voice on all platforms.  However, when the aliens speak there is sub support. I am wondering if the vocal range of the human voice doesn't require sub support in many cases.  I doubt mine would. Lol. I don't feel when watching movies that voice is lacking low end punch. If I hadn't been touching the sub to check I wouldn't have noticed that it wasn't adding to the mix.  This is a tough one indeed as very low processed voice like the aliens and optimus Prime ect seem to have dub support. David Attenborough's voice was the exception on Netflix in that the sub was supporting.  Can someone else confirm? 

Lee 

Explorer

Notsamsung

I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled. 

The soundbar has pretty small speakers inside so the amount of bass it can produce will always be limited. Therefore it makes sense that even if no signal is specifically sent to the sub channel in the Dolby Digital stream, the active crossover in the soundbar should route something to the sub to support the sound for all the front channels. 

I dont expect the same behaviour for the rear channels as the soundbar does not know what frequency range the rears can reproduce (different for R1/R3/R5)

Explorer

My post and the manual are completely in agreement but the information in the manual is incomplete and does not fully explain the implications of these settings...

Pathfinder

I miss wires :(

I will do some testing tonight Lee...........

Sorry for the lamens talk but is the centre channel not mainly for speach, and maybe this is why it's different to left/right front channels and has less support? 

Top Liked Authors