Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 20-06-2017 06:20 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Abob where did you get the info about DTS 5.1 update? 

I really wish Samsung would give us some sort of changelog for their soundbar/tv updates... 

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@Peejay84 wrote:

Abob where did you get the info about DTS 5.1 update? 

I really wish Samsung would give us some sort of changelog for their soundbar/tv updates... 

Google it and find a few articles on it (What Hifi). Check AV Forums.

Would be good to know if the K650 also support DTS 5.1 now and not only DTS 2 channel.  The soundbar input source probably has to be hdmi or usb. Unless any Samsung TV support DT5 5.1 over wifi (dont think optical or ARC supports DTS5.1).

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@simon_w wrote:

I have also done the TV firmware update and can confirm the surround over WiFi still works fine - phew !!

Just to clear up some confusion from earlier posts:

LPCM vs PCM - In the context of our soundbars these are exactly the same thing.  Strictly LPCM stands for Linear Pulse Code Modulation which is the type of PCM used for WAV format audio. (Another type of encoding is Log PCM but that is not used for WAVs)

DTS vs DOLBY 5.1 - The HW-K650 can process Stereo WAV files and Dolby 5.1 Surround files.  It cannot process DTS surround, nor can it process Dolby ATMOS 7.1 or other higher channel count formats.  But some DVD and BluRay players can be set to recode a DTS output into Dolby for compatibility.  The DTS absence in the K650 is simply a cost saving as the DTS technology requires a licence fee payable by the manufacturer and ultimately the end user.

"But I hear surround when I set the TV to PCM" - Yes and No...

The K650 processes true discrete 5.1 channel surround when fed with a Dolby 5.1 bitstream.

When fed with a PCM stereo (2.0) source it synthesises a surround field from the stereo information and presents this on the rears - the same happens if you create a surround group in the multiroom app and play a stereo audio track through the group.  The front left and right on the soundbar will exactly reproduce the intended L&R Stereo, the centre channel will be created from the Mono component of the stereo source (mainly dialogue) and the sub channel will pick up the low frequencies from the stereo source.  Much of the time this sounds really good but it is not the surround mix as intended by the film producer.

Unless you're in the codex business, purposely neglegted practicality, the above relies heavily on obscurantism.  I've asked many 'experts' to explain this and thai all fail.  

Imagine I'm 10 years old, please explain the below.  

The question is simple.

Netflix TV App streams a DD 5.1 movie.  

TV Audio output is PCM.

What does the TV send to the K650 over Wifi; multi channel PCM or two channel PCM or Dolby Digital 5.1?

If it is two channel PCM,  why not just call it what it is: stereo.  

Next we can chat about the HDMI input and what that does.  I hope you can explain it.  

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

Hi NotSamsung

Ok - put as simply as possible:

The KS7000 TV and the HW-K650 soundbar CANNOT process multichannel PCM

If you are streaming 5.1 content from the TVs Netflix app and the TV is set to Dolby Digital, discrete 5.1 channel surround will be sent over WiFi to the soundbar.

If the TV is set to PCM, stereo will be sent to the soundbar and it will create a faux surround presentation based on the stereo content.

If you are streaming stereo content from the TVs Netflix app and the TV is set to Dolby Digital, discrete 2.0 channel sstereo will be sent over WiFi to the soundbar and it will not create a faux surround.

Oh - and by the way:

A codex (from the Latin caudex for "trunk of a tree" or block of wood, book; plural codices) is a book constructed of a number of sheets of paper, vellum, papyrus, or similar materials, with hand-written contents.

A codec is a device or computer program for encoding or decoding a digital data stream or signal. Codec is a portmanteau of coder-decoder.

🙂

Peejay84
Navigator
Options

I can't find anything about DTS 5.1 update going live. Only articles about, that it WILL go live in the future. 

Can you pls support me with a link? 

0 Likes
Madtuts
Explorer
Options
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@simon_w wrote:

Hi NotSamsung

Ok - put as simply as possible:

The KS7000 TV and the HW-K650 soundbar CANNOT process multichannel PCM

If you are streaming 5.1 content from the TVs Netflix app and the TV is set to Dolby Digital, discrete 5.1 channel surround will be sent over WiFi to the soundbar.

If the TV is set to PCM, stereo will be sent to the soundbar and it will create a faux surround presentation based on the stereo content.

If you are streaming stereo content from the TVs Netflix app and the TV is set to Dolby Digital, discrete 2.0 channel sstereo will be sent over WiFi to the soundbar and it will not create a faux surround.

Oh - and by the way:

A codex (from the Latin caudex for "trunk of a tree" or block of wood, book; plural codices) is a book constructed of a number of sheets of paper, vellum, papyrus, or similar materials, with hand-written contents.

A codec is a device or computer program for encoding or decoding a digital data stream or signal. Codec is a portmanteau of coder-decoder.

🙂

It is stereo,  not sstereo. 

As predicted,  you left my simple question unanswered. But your claims are born in vivid inferences,  resting on unjustified assumptions.

Again, pretend I'm 9 years old and answer this time.  

If PCM is stereo, why not just call it Stereo?

Surely, setting the TV audio output to Dolby Digital will output Dolby Digital 5.1 if the internal source is playing Dolby Digital. Why do you feel the need to state 'discrete 5.1 channel surround' and not just call it what it is?  That's your reliance on obscurantism again.

And no,  I did not ask you about multichannel PCM.  And yes,  my TV and soundbar can indeed do multichannel PCM, both can do discrete 2.0 channel surround stereo,  thank you. See what I did there? 

****If you are streaming stereo content from the TVs Netflix app and the TV is set to Dolby Digital, discrete 2.0 channel sstereo will be sent over WiFi to the soundbar and it will not create a faux surround.****

Nonsense.  If you are streaming stereo content from the TVs Netflix app then the TV will never allow you to set it to Dolby Digital.   Why even mention this?   More tiny violin playing by you.

Oh - and by the way:

Faux means fake and applies to objects. Pseudo means false and applies to objects and concepts. 

Your use if faux surround is erroneous. Plain pseduo-nonsense in fact. 

Pay attention. Please answer my questions. We have not even started with the HDMI Audio output question.  You can't even answer this one.  😁

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

@NotSamsung

Suggest you do the following:

[1] Get a degree in electronics

[2] Spend 30 years working as an audio engineer and film producer

[3] Learn some common courtesy

[4] Grow up

Then I am happy to engage in a polite discourse with you...

Madtuts
Explorer
Options

NotSamsung

Please read this artical

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

"Unfortunately, this makes for a signal that is more difficult to transmit. No TV seems to be able to pass a 5.1 PCM signal through to a sound system, so sending a PCM signal to or from a TV will downgrade the signal to 2.1 (two speakers + one subwoofer), thus eliminating the extra channels necessary for surround sound."

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Thanks Madtuts

I was looking for "samsung  HW MS-650 DTS firmware update", and thats why i couldn't find anything. I've read that they are going to update MS650 to DTS 5.1 along with Atmos ones from the last year (K850, and K950) and samsung dude in their shop confirmed it when i was getting MS-650, yet of course it didn't get the update and i've been tricked by them once again.

All those audio problems are even more disapointing than high end phone controlled airconditioner where you can't really control it outside of your wifi because their korean servers went to cr*p or multiple SSD's i own that drop transfer rates 10x after the data is written on them for more than a week.  

I really need to get a fridge magnet with a Samsung logo and an annotation "Don't believe their lies" :winking-face:

0 Likes