Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 20-05-2017 04:43 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
Your audio format should be set to Dolby if you want to get a dolby 5.1 surround.
PCM might be a gold standard and it's needed for lossless formats such as Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio but you need a bluray ---> reciever ---> passthrough to tv setup to get that, you can't pass multichannel PCM from tv to soundbar, and also as lee said, K650 can't accept multichannell PCM.
0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

If you are inputting an audio source from a bluray player, hdmi audio output and format can both be pcm. In fact if i select pcm hdmi audio out my cable box will only recognize 2ch pcm and my system will only play 2ch stereo. If I play a bluray and select pcm/pcm on tv audio settings get what sounds like lossless discrete 5.1. If I switch the source from bluray to cable box while watching a bluray, I will get discrete 5.1 from cable box with tv audio set pcm/pcm. It is clearly a less compressed version of DD 5.1. If I open cable box guide or change to certain channels it will revert to 2ch stereo.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

The k650 cant process raw pcm signals but it can pass them. Just like it cant process anything more than dts 2.0 but it can play dts5.1 .

If I set my bluray player to output unprocessed bitstream, I do not get good sound from either dd or dts movies. 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi Scott

PCM that gets passed through the TV will definitely only be 2 channel. The sound bar will then create a surround sound stage In a similar way that dolby pro logic used to. You can test this by playing a 5.1 test file. Each test tone should play separately through its respective channel with no cross over. If you hear the front left and right channels while the rear channels are playing then the soundbar is making a fake surround effect. On sound bars that support dolby atmos you have to go from your audio source to the soundbar and then from the soundbar to the TV via hdmi. The reason for this is that currently no TV's are able to pass through PCM multichannel. 

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

If you keep saying that you will never learn anything.

Do some research, if you are outputting audio from a bluray player you want to output pcm.

Go to some audiophile sites and check for yourself. Dont take my word for it.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
>The k650 cant process raw pcm signals but it can pass them

Pass them where? The soundbar is the reciever playing the sound, it's not passing it anywhere.

>Just like it cant process anything more than dts 2.0 but it can play dts5.1 .

I'm quite sure it's just a licensing thing (so they can sell the soundbar cheaper) not an actual technical issue. I've read somewhere that in a few months some Samsung soundbars are getting an upgrade to DTS 5.1, so i guess Samsung made some sort of a licensing deal with DTS Inc.
0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

DTS is a movie thing, the soundbar doesnt need to be able to process DTS signals because if the soundbar needs to process anything it would be music from a cellphone app or something. Doubt there is much music content that is DTS. When the soundbar is connected to tv it is just another speaker that will output whatever sound it is told to output.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi Scott

I have a separates system that accepts PCM multi channel. And you are correct that it is far superior to compressed audio. It's the only way to get hd audio and if I had the space I would still be using that system so you have no argument from me that a PCM option would be much better.  All I'm saying is that you won't get 5.1 via a PCM signal from the K650 sound bar as it simply doesn't support PCM multichannel audio. It's a shame as it would solve my current problem of getting decent sound from my xbox one when playing 4K bluray. 

Lee 

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Do you have UHD hdmi color on in your picture settings? 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi Scott

I think I see what your trying to say. You are saying that the TV is deciding the signal and passing it to the soundbar and surrounds and that the soundbar isn't actually processing anything. Rather just playing the signal it's being sent by the TV? 

0 Likes