Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 30-03-2017 02:42 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
DazzaP
Student
Options

Thanks for joining the hunt for a fix on this! You mention the video/audio being out of sync, which is something that I've noticed too and it seems to vary greatly, depending on what you're watching. I've now set the audio delay to 40, which seems to have made the synchronisation correct most of the time. 

I wonder what other people generally have that parameter set to in their set ups? I don't recall seeing any previous mentions of the audio delay in this entire thread, but in the last week or so it had been driving me insane!

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options
I have mine set to 0 although there was not much difference between it and 40. I think you are seeing it more or noticing it more perhaps because we are using ARC or Optical vs. Wi-Fi. Most of us here are not using Wi-Fi anymore just so we can get the clear 5.1, but the brings with it a host of other issues including out of sync audio.
0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi all

I get delay over optical but in most cases can fix this by setting audio delay on my TV to 0. The exception to this is when watching 4K bluray on my xbox one s. This is an xbox problem though and should be fixed in the nee update. 

Lee 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

The problem with the audio delay is that it cannot correct for when the picture is ahead of the sound - only the other way round.

The adjustment of 0-40ms is only two frames at 50p or one at 50i/25p - most people can tolerate the sound being behind picture for as much as 2 or 3 frames - but when the sound is ahead of picture it is immediately apparent - this is why Samsung only offer audio delay.

In my setup, especially when streaming from Amazon or YouTube I get sound behind picture even with the delay setting at 0 - sometimes it is so bad that the offet is 10 frames plus - easily discernable and enough to make me throw things at the TV !!

Worth noting is that the the delay setting is per-input on the 7 Series TVs which is sensible as it may well vary from source to source.

simon_w
Pioneer
Options

OK - the plot thickens...

With the latest update to the soundbar under certain circumstances I am now getting 5.1 over WiFi.

I have just played a Dolby test file which works correctly in 5.1.  This is an H264 MP4 file with Dolby AC3 5.1 surround and with the rear speakers at max and the sound bar at minimum it plays with pretty balanced surround.

You can download the file here: https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/ - it is the top one in the list - load onto a mempry stick and play via the USB on the TV.

This is exactly the sort of file engineers use to test setups are working correctly...

However other sources are not decoding in surround with the correct rear level...

Interested to know if others are seeing / hearing the same...?

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

@simon_w wrote:

The problem with the audio delay is that it cannot correct for when the picture is ahead of the sound - only the other way round.

The adjustment of 0-40ms is only two frames at 50p or one at 50i/25p - most people can tolerate the sound being behind picture for as much as 2 or 3 frames - but when the sound is ahead of picture it is immediately apparent - this is why Samsung only offer audio delay.

In my setup, especially when streaming from Amazon or YouTube I get sound behind picture even with the delay setting at 0 - sometimes it is so bad that the offet is 10 frames plus - easily discernable and enough to make me throw things at the TV !!

Worth noting is that the the delay setting is per-input on the 7 Series TVs which is sensible as it may well vary from source to source.

Same with me. Audio is behind, not ahead. Delay would need to be -50 or more for it to be synced properly. I would have thought being wired would be better for delays, but not with this system...

Simon, I have been getting 5.1 via wi-fi for a while now (at least since 3109 version and now the 3111). The issue is the volume of the rears. It is still too low even at -6 for the soundbar and +6 for the rears. Early on in the thread some of us passed around an AC3 5.1 speaker test which will clearly let you know if it is working or not.

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

abob36 wrote: 

Simon, I have been getting 5.1 via wi-fi for a while now (at least since 3109 version and now the 3111). The issue is the volume of the rears. It is still too low even at -6 for the soundbar and +6 for the rears. Early on in the thread some of us passed around an AC3 5.1 speaker test which will clearly let you know if it is working or not.

Sorry abob36 - wasnt quite clear in what I meant by this:

To me it seems that files in certain codecs will decode properly in surround with rears at a workable level - the Dolby test file sounds exactly how I would expect it to.  I agree that this should be with front and rear speakers at 0 and not -6/+6 but even with that offset other sources are not decoding correctly.  To me this further suggets that the problem is not inherrent in the WiFi link to the rears but related to the way the soundbar is de-multipleing the 5.2 stream...

My point is that we are being told by Samsung's engineers that they have fixed it with the 3109 update - if the file they are testing with is one of the official Dolby test or demo files it may well be working for them...

Are you able to re-share the test file circulated earlier in this thread - or point me roughly to the right page?  I would be keen to try it out and see exactly what codec is being used.

0 Likes
dfensom
First Poster
Options

Simon,
This is exactly what I have found. Before the update, I couldn't get 5.1 working over wi-fi. Since the latest update, I am able to play some films with 5.1 over Wi-Fi, but not all.  This is with the sound bar at 0, and the R1's at full volume.  Even then, it could do with a little bit more volume at times.

The film I am playing is 'Central Intelligence'. The beginning soundtrack is very good for the surround effect :smiling-face:  (the actual film isn't too great though).
Really good to have somebody with your knowledge and experience on the forum. Hopefully Samsung might start to listen to what everyone has been telling them...

David

@simon_w wrote:

OK - the plot thickens...

With the latest update to the soundbar under certain circumstances I am now getting 5.1 over WiFi.

I have just played a Dolby test file which works correctly in 5.1.  This is an H264 MP4 file with Dolby AC3 5.1 surround and with the rear speakers at max and the sound bar at minimum it plays with pretty balanced surround.

You can download the file here: https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/ - it is the top one in the list - load onto a mempry stick and play via the USB on the TV.

This is exactly the sort of file engineers use to test setups are working correctly...

However other sources are not decoding in surround with the correct rear level...

Interested to know if others are seeing / hearing the same...?

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Testing done....... Pretty much came up with same results as everyone else so won't repeat too much. 

Summary is wifi and hdmi give same results with next to no volume on rears, and definatly no audible sense of surround regardless of the source.  

Various test files used with varying results and only one constant in that the optical/D.in connection is the only set up to give good volume from rears and full surround sound. 

I will email samsung now regarding the visit and at least I can replicate the issues most are repprting; my fear in a way was it would actually work! And I will ask if the engineer is in fact a direct employee and not a "partnered" repair centre. 

I will also enquire as to what the latest soundbar update was for; it maybe something completely unrelated as they point Blankly stated there would be no more updates to firmware for the rear volume issues. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Email sent........ Will let you know once they have responded tomorrow. 

BTW some Very interesting posts on the complexity of Dolby 5.1 and great to see new input and more people joining the cause.........it's giving me some new energy to keep going with Samsung

Still strange to me that even with all this complexity it works fine for me on optical, but not on hdmi. I could understand if it was just a wifi issue and hdmi worked as optical does. 

0 Likes