Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 28-03-2017 03:30 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Aah makes sense now. It's no problem. 

I advised samsung I would be testing the hdmi set up after others comments over the weekend in response to their offer of an engineer attending........ So they are referring to my own testing of my equipment at home I believe. 

I put it to them as suggested that I want to test this new information prior to a visit; I want to make the most of the engineer visiting and be well prepared. 

Unfortunately due to my little one being very sick over the weekend I have had little time to do anything else. 

Looks like they are hoping I will test and report back everything this is good and no engineer visit required! 

0 Likes
dfensom
First Poster
Options

I know that for a lot of people, using a HDMI or optical cable is an 'acceptable' work around.

However, if you have the correct Samsung TV model, you should be able to utilise Wi-Fi for 5.1 surround sound (as Samsung advertise).

I have the KS8000 TV.

Rob - I hope that you'll be demonstrating that grouping the speakers into 5.1 surround mode and getting it work over Wi-Fi, simply doesn't work.

If you can’t accommodate for whatever reason, send them over to me! I'd be happy to show them :smiling-face:

Thanks, David

0 Likes
frustrated
Journeyman
Options

I tried the HDMI ARC method without success. Optical worked.

One thing I was wondering is what volume was used on the app when grouping the speakers and what volume were the r1 speakers set to using the control on the speakers before grouping? Or doesnt it matter?

Whenever I group then un group the speakers the volume of the r1s is always very low.

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi David, 

Yes the plan is to go over all the set ups with the engineer and ensure the time is well spent. 

My TV is capable of full wifi/multichannel surround (just not programmable control), so will go over this set up, hdmi and optical and show the differences. 

Also with loosing speaker grouping when playing music and then going back to 5.1

I have a list :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

I cannot get the optical work around to function properly if I have both HDMI(ARC) and OPTICAL attached at the same time.  Works really well when I unplug the HDMI(ARC).  Can any one else confirm this?

0 Likes
Madtuts
Explorer
Options

I can confirm that mine still works better with the optical

TV-ARC works but not as loud

I had to buy an optical cable to to test this as I only had HDMI cable before

Ian

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

@Nick0 wrote:

I cannot get the optical work around to function properly if I have both HDMI(ARC) and OPTICAL attached at the same time.  Works really well when I unplug the HDMI(ARC).  Can any one else confirm this?

That is correct. D In. is either Optical or HDMI (ARC). HDMI (ARC) overrides optical so you can either remove the HDMI cable to use optical, or hold down the right arrow button on the soundbar remote to turn off HDMI anynet on the soundbar.

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options
Thought so, thanks.
0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Hello guys! 

I just bought two R3's (Wam3500), paired them with my k650 soundbar and ks8000 tv and I can confirm everything you wrote here. 

Music from the surround setup sounds great, but rears get very quiet when used with TV. 

Optical workaround works, but only if you unplug ARC. On top of that you have to reconfigure surround every time you change something because channels get all messed up (fronts are doubling left and right surround).

I really hope samsung isn't going to leave us like that. 

I've been through similar issue with a high end laptops of various brands using Optimus fast graphic card switching tech. After one random update of something , it caused massive memory leak. 

There was a huge "support group" like yours, with hundreds of posts on NVidia,  Intel and Microsoft forums. 

All three companies said "everything works to their specifications" and the issue was never resolved (until Windows 10 came out and somehow it stopped happening) 

0 Likes
Kevlarr
Explorer
Options

I've only had this kit since Dec/Jan. So respect goes to all of you who have put up with this fiasco for longer.
After installing the latest (R1) speaker update I spent (wasted) most of a nice fine Saturday messing about with
different setup connections and came to the same findings as most others, optical is ok any other is not.
I think we all appreciate each others help and advice but considering this kit is all from the same manufacturer,
it should work out of the box/plug & play and have consistant volume levels on ANY connection method (unless
stated otherwise).

To receive info from Samsung saying that "the most recent update has yielded positive results in our AV department lab tests, and that the grouping of products within their tests are working to specification" is just useless to us. They need to clearly define the equipment (whether the tv model makes a difference) cables used and any HDMI standards, all relevent tv/soundbar/speaker settings, video/sound test files and which connection methods (optical/HDMI/WiFi) have been tried and which work or not (and why not)

Good luck to Robbienobs regarding the engineers visit.
It'll be interesting to see if the engineer has been briefed about the problem and if he knows that there is (at the time of writing this) a 64 page forum thread about it.
I'd be tempted to say to him... there's the kit, make it work on HDMI and WiFi.
I think it would be an important point for the engineer to not be able to get it to work, rather than him report back that you could not get it to work.

The only redeaming feature I find useful is the ability to play music from my NAS drive or internet radio from TuneIn in the multiroom app.

I'll finish this by throwing another spanner into the works.
I also have the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD 4K Blu-ray Player.
When connected directly to the TV and just sitting on the (Blu-ray) home screen, the TV info shows the resolution as 4k.
When connected via the soundbar the resolution is 1080.

In the Blu-ray settings menu if I change the resolution from auto to force a 4k output, the screen goes blank with a source connection message after a few seconds.
So, unless there is some setting that I've missed because I expected a simple plug & play, I suspect the HW-K650
will not do 4k pass through from the UBD-K8500 (a topic for another thread maybe?)