Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 25-03-2017 11:17 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
abob36
Pioneer
Options

OK GOOD NEWS!!! I could not get HDMI ARC to sound any louder despite my trying 6 different cables. I then removed the HDMI and went back to optical and just loved how good it sounded. I then looked in the manual to configure the remote (it has a lot of additional functions) but could not get the TV remote control function to work on D. In. It works on the other modes without issue, but not D. In.

SOOOOOO HERES THE GOOD PART: I know our TV and remote has a universal function so I figured, let's make it work for the soundbar. IT WORKED!!!

• Go to Universal Remote in the Source menu
  • Click Start
  • Select Home Theater System
  • Choose Samsung
  • Select Optical
  • Fail the Power Test 3 times (Clicking the power and selecting No)
  • In the Search for Model Number, type K65 and click Done and select View More Model Numbers (Note: if you type HWK650, you are presented with a huge list, but our model does not appear)
  • Choose your model
  • Complete the Power Test successfully and click Done 

Before my revelation:
OK so I have tried 6 various HDMI cables I have lying around. Granted, none of these are 2.0 certified, but I do have some 1.4s. I see TV ARC on my soundbar when adjusting volume. In the TV audio menu, it shows as HW-K650(HDMI) as the Sound output source. I can confirm that PCM as HDMI Audio Format and Audio Format set to Dolby Digital, I am getting discrete 5.1 on the test file. I still have to crank rears to +6 and soundbar to -6 to get decent sound out of the system.

I also maintain that at least for me, the HDMI ARC and Wi-Fi Multi Channel both have similar volume levels and sound quality.

I tested again, and with optical, I can leave the levels in the middle default across the board and it sounds excellent.

I will pick up a 2.0 cable tomorrow for fun just to see, but I am not holding my breath.

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

I tire you universal remote control steps, I just get th icon of the two phono connecters when I use the volume control on the remote. Tried it multiple times.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi abob 

I can't seem to find a universal remote option when I press source?? 

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

I went through the process of adding the Smart Universal remote and was able to add the HWK650.  It appeared after scrolling through the whole list and selecting "See more..."  However, it didn't work with the universal remote at first.  I then went into SOURCE again, selected UNIVERSAL REMOTE and scrolled along to the sound bar HWK650.  Selecting that gives a list of options to use the soundbar with.  I selected Cable or Satellite. Or, you can choose any other device such as your bluray player.  

Exiting this then allowed the Universal Remote to control the sound bar.   Excellent!  The once  SKY option on the media bar where Netflix etc appears, changed to SKY_SAMSUNG.

I think if you wanted to use the universal remote with a different device playing through the soundbar, such as a bluray player, you would need to back through the latter part of the process and selct thatas the option for the soundbar

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

Leelazer,

I'd try adding the Universal Controller again.  I'm sure you know this already but just in case, I think that you need to have it pointed at your TV during the setup process of adding input devices as it is detected by the TV at that stage.   Or, you can use the Connection Guide/ Accessories path to add it.

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options
Sorry for the bitty pats. I now find that the Universal Remote controls the Soundbar + 2 connected by optical cable when playing my BluRay. I don't think it did previously.

I found my self turning the sounder off accidentally when adjusting the volume using the sounder's own remote as the buttons are so close, so being able to use the Universal Remote is much better.
0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi all

I still can't find an option for universal remote. Maybe my TV doesn't have the option. 

0 Likes
Neilwales
Explorer
Options

Right guys here is where I am at. It may be of interest to some. I am using the UE55KS8000 & HW-K650 along with two R7's. My set up works and heres how it is configured. I have the soundbar and TV connected via the arc connection with a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable. The settings on the TV are bitstream with Dolby Digital selected. Wireless speaker manager set up in surround sound then this appears in the quick settings as Samsung Surround Soundbar + 2CH (Wi-Fi). The wifi in my house is fibre to premises 76 mbps and the router is in the same room as the TV. The sound is good from all speakers and watching Spectre (opening scene with a helicopter sequence) the sound does travel through the room via all speakers cinema style. The sound is controlled via the smart remote (altering all the volumes at once) these can be individually tailored through the TV in expert settings or via the multi app. The soundbar can be turned off (with the amazing discovery thanks to abob36) when typing in HW65 and bingo up pops the HWK650?? Well done Samsung for not listing this as it should be. If I can be of any further help contact me. I would just like to finish, and this may get moderated, by saying this. If it were not of the help and advice from the community I would of been screwed. This is expensive kit £3000.00 to date and it doesn't work out of the box. The Samsung support line are of no help (possibly ill informed as we are) and moderators on here have not communicated fully with us or helped to bridge the gap between us and technical support in resolving these issues. It has all been through the efforts and time of the community. Well done guys. I for one will definately do more homework next time prior to purchasing such an expensive package and ensure it works prior to purchase. Shame on Samsung.

0 Likes
Neilwales
Explorer
Options

One final bugbear. I can not turn off the Sky Q box with the smart remote. This may be a Sky issue unless anyone can tell me differently. Any help on this one greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options
@Neilwales wrote:

Right guys here is where I am at. It may be of interest to some. I am using the UE55KS8000 & HW-K650 along with two R7's. My set up works and heres how it is configured. I have the soundbar and TV connected via the arc connection with a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable. The settings on the TV are bitstream with Dolby Digital selected. Wireless speaker manager set up in surround sound then this appears in the quick settings as Samsung Surround Soundbar + 2CH (Wi-Fi). The wifi in my house is fibre to premises 76 mbps and the router is in the same room as the TV. The sound is good from all speakers and watching Spectre (opening scene with a helicopter sequence) the sound does travel through the room via all speakers cinema style. The sound is controlled via the smart remote (altering all the volumes at once) these can be individually tailored through the TV in expert settings or via the multi app. The soundbar can be turned off (with the amazing discovery thanks to abob36) when typing in HW65 and bingo up pops the HWK650?? Well done Samsung for not listing this as it should be. If I can be of any further help contact me. I would just like to finish, and this may get moderated, by saying this. If it were not of the help and advice from the community I would of been screwed. This is expensive kit £3000.00 to date and it doesn't work out of the box. The Samsung support line are of no help (possibly ill informed as we are) and moderators on here have not communicated fully with us or helped to bridge the gap between us and technical support in resolving these issues. It has all been through the efforts and time of the community. Well done guys. I for one will definately do more homework next time prior to purchasing such an expensive package and ensure it works prior to purchase. Shame on Samsung.

OK eventhough you have your HDMI ARC configured, if you go into the TV and configure multiroom, that switches your soundbar to wifi multi channel (Samsung Surround Soundbar + 2CH (Wi-Fi). This is not using HDMI or D. In. It is interesting that you are getting clear loud audio in rears on Wi-Fi when most of us aren't. Also, the remote works for all inputs on the soundbar excluding D. In via optical. This was the only input that you needed to configure the universal remote for.

I have noticed that you will have to configure universal remote for each input. Built in apps on TV work with Optical in the Source Setup under Universal Remote. For my HDMI devices (Wii U, PC) I had to select the HDMI input it was on each time - so this is still annoying. I will do more messsing about to get it right hopefully.

*EDIT* OK so, annoyingly you can only have the Universal Remote work for a single input, not all at once. So if you wanted to use the TV or built-in apps, you'd select Optical under source setup. If you wanted to use game console, select HDMI input under source setup. I tricked the system by adding ANOTHER Samsung HWK650 as a Home Theater System. So now I have 2 - one for the optical input and one for my HDMI 2 (Wii U) input. Unfortunately you cannot add 3 Home Theater Systems as it asks you to delete one of the other ones. This is still not a solution and maybe I am missing something, but if you cannot make the universal remote work for the home theater system for all inputs, that is quite silly (LOL I'm  being censored?). But again, it could be me. Keep messing with it guys. */EDIT*

Leelazer, highlight Source on your TV Smart Hub and in the listed Sources, the first two icons should be Connection Guide and Universal Remote, before showing your actual inputs. Also, I was doing surround test and the rears were coming in a bit through the fronts, I had to break my surround group and re-create it and then it worked without issue. Typically I have to create a new surround group everytime I get on anyways as it goes away after a while.

The only soultion that truly works as intended is using TV Sound Connect or Wi-Fi as 3.1 without the rears. This is frustrating we have to jump through all these hoops to get something working. Again, I will pick up a newer HDMI cable and see if that does anything different for me.

WIN_20170325_10_00_38_Pro.jpg

0 Likes