Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 24-03-2017 05:59 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Lmao. One of the old clockwork ones. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

That's it :smileyhappy:....... It's so old the guy that made it signed his name on it lol

It's so old it was actually made in England and I know we haven't done any of that manufacturing stuff for a very long time hehe

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options
Good on you, Robbienobs. That could be key when your system demonstrates the WiFi issue to the engineer. The contrast between the optical (or HDMI Arc) sound levels and the WiFi should be patently obvious to him (or her).
Even if the engineer is able to resolve it there and then by some sleight of hand, which I doubt, at least you, and we by your epic efforts, will have the correct protocol for getting it up and running.
Thanks
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks Nick0

I will let you all know when engineer visit is booked 

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options
OK so after more testing, I was incorrect about the optical and HDMI surround modes being different. I am hearing audio on my rears in both modes on my Wii U. The issue is that optical is clearly louder and more balanced in surround mode than any of the other modes. That is the ideal loudness we would like to have for HDMI ARC and Wi-Fi as well.

I have noticed that HDMI ARC and Wi-Fi multichannel actually sound the same. I have to set soundbar -6 and rears +6 to get decent audio from the rears. This again, is improved from what we had before (rears being barely audible at all), but still not good enough like the optical is. Can anyone else confirm about Wi-Fi multichannel being same as HDMI ARC? My TV is on 1167. When I last tested Wi-Fi multichannel , the rears were practically non-existent.

Another issue: setting up the surround group on the multiroom app for optical or HDMI ARC is necessary for that to work in 5.1. If you change audio inputs and select AV (Wi-Fi mutlichannel) it overwrites the multiroom app settings and you will have to regroup the surround if you go back to optical or HDMI ARC. It will not retain the setting for those modes. Switching to TV audio and going to HDMI ARC worked fine and my 5.1 stayed grouped together. Also, I was using everything fine last night on HMDI ARC in 5.1 setup through the app and turned the TV off before going to bed. I wake up this morning to test before work and the 5.1 group is not there on my app, so I have to re-configure it. This again, is an annoyance that it does not retain these settings (do the R1's sleep or something causing this?).
0 Likes
Tovle
Explorer
Options

@abob36 wrote:
OK so after more testing, I was incorrect about the optical and HDMI surround modes being different. I am hearing audio on my rears in both modes on my Wii U. The issue is that optical is clearly louder and more balanced in surround mode than any of the other modes. That is the ideal loudness we would like to have for HDMI ARC and Wi-Fi as well.

Hi Abob,

Are you using HDMI 2.0? I had issues when I used an old HDMI 1.4. When I group them in Multiroom app (K650 HDMI on TV and D.IN on sound bar) the 5.1 surround works flawless. All devices are set to the same volume level in the app. I even put the sound bar at +4 and the rear on +3 sometimes cause the rear speakers are too loud.

I too have to "re-configurate" when the it's been off over-night or longer period of time. I simply change the Input source to HDMI and back to D.IN (again - in the app) and surround kicks back in :smiling-face:

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Nicked this from the American forum just now interesting quote about the lip sync and surround Quailty.

I just go my two R5's on the K650 soundbar running through a 2016 8-Series.  My setup is with an optical caple (D.IN) and PCM, and this setup works well.  

I'll start off by saying this setup does sound like true 5.1 to me even though my understanding is that PCM is only capably of processing 2.1 audio through optical.   My theory is the television is delivering 2.1 audio via PCM directly to the soundbar and sending the two rear channels discretely to the rear channels over WiFi, resulting in true 5.1 through PCM.  So even though the speakers are "grouped"... the 2.1 and the rears are actually working independent of each other.  This would explain the limitations of being able to adjust the volume.  The sound quality in spotify while playing music was just as good as anything I have ever heard, even from multi-thousand dollar home setups... true 5.1 multi-channel could not be more obvious.  And to be absolutely clear, switching away from PCM in this configuration (to something such as bitscream/dolby) results in a very obvious loss of fidelity in the rear channels and also causes audio sync issues. For example, I was watching Daredevil on Netflix and you could hear cars driving by in the background (really emmersive!)... and switching to Bitstream/Dolby made this go away.  So, yes, I am satisfield with the Optical/D.IN method.  But a few negatives I can't seem to work around! 

1. Have to use two remotes because the smart remote will not handle the volume.
2. Adjusting the rear or center volumn either thru the TV or thru the multi-room app boots the sounbar off the TV and and into TV speaker mode... and you have to go into the sound settings and reconnect them.  

So I got tired of using two remotes and tried using the HDMI ARC method as carefully described by our friends at the EU forums.  This failed... I got almost non-existent audio from the rear channel and often no audio at all.  It seems broken to me, so back to the optical method.   Has anyone tried to set the TV smart remote to control the soundbar?  (go to page 10 of the user soundbar manual HW-K650_K651_ZA_170111.PDF).  By holding the sound button for 5 seconds on the soundbar remote, it will set “ON - TV REMOTE”  for volume to be controlled by the TV remote.    I will give this a shot this evening.

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

@Tovle wrote:

Hi Abob,

Are you using HDMI 2.0? I had issues when I used an old HDMI 1.4. When I group them in Multiroom app (K650 HDMI on TV and D.IN on sound bar) the 5.1 surround works flawless. All devices are set to the same volume level in the app. I even put the sound bar at +4 and the rear on +3 sometimes cause the rear speakers are too loud.

I too have to "re-configurate" when the it's been off over-night or longer period of time. I simply change the Input source to HDMI and back to D.IN (again - in the app) and surround kicks back in :smiling-face:

I will try a different cable. I can hear audio coming out the rears fairly well, just not as loud as the optical was and definitely not wanting the soundbar louder. I just find it interesting that the audio sounds the same whether I am using Wi-Fi or ARC.

0 Likes
Tovle
Explorer
Options

I just find it interesting that the audio sounds the same whether I am using Wi-Fi or ARC.

Then the setup is not correct. There's not doubt in mind when the 5.1 is kicking in. Let me know when you've tried another HDMI - maybe I can try making a guide on how my setup is. What does the display on sound bar say when you're connected through HDMI? This could be just a coincident, but when I used 1.4 it said TV ARC, now it says D.IN.

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

@Tovle wrote:

I just find it interesting that the audio sounds the same whether I am using Wi-Fi or ARC.

Then the setup is not correct. There's not doubt in mind when the 5.1 is kicking in. Let me know when you've tried another HDMI - maybe I can try making a guide on how my setup is. What does the display on sound bar say when you're connected through HDMI? This could be just a coincident, but when I used 1.4 it said TV ARC, now it says D.IN.

OK now THAT is interesting. I am geting 5.1, that is not the issue, it is just the rears are still a bit too quiet to my liking even with them maxed and the soundbar minimum. My soundbar says TV ARC when I am on the D.IN input. I will definitely see if sawpping the cable out does anything.

0 Likes