Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 24-12-2016 08:10 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Bryantay
Explorer
Options

It's a direct link to the file. You shouldn't have to sign up for Dropbox in order to download it. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

P. S. 

As I have said before Samsung did this denial of issue routine when I originally had massive wifi drop out issues out the box, even to the point of asking me to purchase an additional hub to solve the problem. 

But low and behold the wifi issues were fixed with a firmware upgrade and the unit worked great until updating to 3108 (as it is now). 

I spoke to probably every single person at the call centre just for this wifi issue, and it was only in the following calls regarding sound quality issues caused by firmware volume control updates, that someone finally admitted to me the wifi issues were fixed with an update because of the mass of complaints received from users. 

I am hoping that they are really working on a fix for this but have some internal policy of complete outward denial of issues. 

I would love to have a conversation of any type with any person at Samsung stating they admit there are issues following an update. 

The firmware for the soundbar itself has not changed in sometime now, but the R1 firmware has updated many times so hopefully we are over due a soundbar update in any case. 

But at least with this forum I cannot be told anymore that mine is an isolated case! 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

there

I know I am getting 5.1 as when I run a 5.1 test file that plays sound through each speaker individually that's exactly what I get. sound from the front left, then from the centre, then from the front right, then from the rear right then from the rear left and finally the sub.  I am nit the only one who has had success doing this. I have double checked my settings. Optical out is not set to bitstream. Hdmi is set to bit stream I will try and post pictures of my settings fir you 

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

I have the same setup and it works. But like poeple said not what is advertised.

But I have playing a lot of music out of it at the moment, due to the time of year and having people round and it does sound good with music, Maybe Samsung should change it to a music focused product 😉

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@Bryantay wrote:

It's a direct link to the file. You shouldn't have to sign up for Dropbox in order to download it. 

Don't like Dropbox.  It's not user friendly and I question their security

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

Just bought a 650, and after many tests it looks like 3.1 isn't being recognised by my pc. Can't passthrough my telly, and its not wireless, but have done a lot tests, and pc only recognises it as stereo. 

Could someone send me the MKW file please? Or is that a waste of time before adding the rear speakers?

I was considering the R1s as a solution, but from this discussion, I'm a little hesitant. Optical (or hdmi) direct to the soundbar is my solution, but if 5.1 can only occur in full Wireless mode... then thats a waste. 

Does anyone know if using the swa-8000s gives discreet 5.1 via PC? (Samsung website suggests compatability, but can't find anyone that can confirm that)

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

pm more your email address ill send you the file

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. The mkv file works, and demonstrates 3.1 working direct from the pc, despite the pc only detecting stereo (with the "rear" sources coming through the left and right of the soundbar).

Tempted to buy the swa-8000s now ... US Samsung website says it is compatible (top google result using both model numbers), and a 3rd party US seller is actually selling a 650+8000s bundle today. 

However, Uk samsung advised by email today that it wouldnt work... Perhaps that is correct, but eu/us models seem the same, and I assume firmwares are the same too. If yes, I assume it will work...

If so, then I assume the gap is in documentation / marketing. I'll pick up an 8000s tomorrow and test it. 

(Or if someone at Samsung would like to save me a trip first thing tomorrow, please advise confidently either way.)

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@leelazer wrote:

there

I know I am getting 5.1 as when I run a 5.1 test file that plays sound through each speaker individually that's exactly what I get. sound from the front left, then from the centre, then from the front right, then from the rear right then from the rear left and finally the sub.  I am nit the only one who has had success doing this. I have double checked my settings. Optical out is not set to bitstream. Hdmi is set to bit stream I will try and post pictures of my settings fir you 

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

When using the MKV test file via TV USB my system (k650 & 2x M3's) plays sound in every discrete 5.1 speaker.  That is true for all 3 connections from Samsung TV - Optical (s/pdif), HDMI (ARC), Wifi (TV to Soundbar).

My TV settings are:

HDMI Audio Format (input) = Bitsream.

Audio Format (output) = PCM.

Note, when I change the Audio Format (output) to Dolby Digital then the sound is muffled (it has low volume and the voice is not clear).

I don't get it.  

Why would I get 5.1 with PCM?  Does Samsung output 5.1 over Wifi (TV to Soundbar then Wifi to 2 x M3 speakers) connection or is that their own pseudo 5.1?

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

Let me know if the swa-8000s works. I think it is a documentation thing as well. The 650 and 550 are identical except in the Wi-Fi capabilities of the 650, so the 8000s should work theoretically.

0 Likes