Support

Open search

Dolby TrueHD and eARC on Samsung Q80R Soundbar

Highlighted
Navigator

@Frans83 wrote:

@slim_shady wrote:

I have also found out that the LG C9 doesn't support e-arc through its built-in apps ...


This is ridiculess! What's the point of giving a smart tv eARC when the apps don't use it!? Not even Netflix?

 

So it's safe to say, that people who wanted and thought they had the possibility to expierence true Atmos and without lip sync problems, they where all to early and got fooled with whatever Atmos set-up they bought?


I can't call myself an expert, but I am pretty sure that eARC isn't something that needs to be supported by apps like Netflix. eARC technology is associated with sending a signal from one device to another. Netflix makes no distinction between Dolby Atmos (ARC) and Dolby Atmos (eARC) video. If the video material is equipped with Dolby Atmos, then it is sent to the Soundbar, as long as it also supports Dolby Atmos. If, in addition, both devices are equipped with eARC technology, the audio material is sent with a faster bitrate than with ordinary ARC.

Highlighted
Explorer

@Mike_kr wrote:


I can't call myself an expert, but I am pretty sure that eARC isn't something that needs to be supported by apps like Netflix. eARC technology is associated with sending a signal from one device to another. Netflix makes no distinction between Dolby Atmos (ARC) and Dolby Atmos (eARC) video. If the video material is equipped with Dolby Atmos, then it is sent to the Soundbar, as long as it also supports Dolby Atmos. If, in addition, both devices are equipped with eARC technology, the audio material is sent with a faster bitrate than with ordinary ARC.


No it is indeed not like that, but when you want lossless audio and the lip sync, then you need eARC. So if the audiophiles among us, or the people who think: 'I'll play it safe, when I buy the best, I get the best' (like an O- or QLED with Atmos and eARC), they expect to use eARC. If you bought a brand new set up and you play a movie with Atmos on Netflix, then you don't like it when in turns out you got the lossy Atmos compressed in the DD+ signal. I myself can live with that, but I still would be p*ssed if I had bought a setup like this and don't get what the salesman last week told me (this really happend, only I didn't bought it). But, eventhough I can live with the lossy signal....no one can live with the potential lip sync problems, while watching a movie on their brand new 2500 dollar tv and soudnbar. They got Atmos, thet got eARC, then give them a *&^%$ chance to use it! because eARC is needed for lip sync correction. I myself am on the market for a new set up and due to this topic, I allready holding of not buying a Samsung soundbar. Then I learned something, so now I doubt I even want an allready released soundbar and now I also leanr that if I buy an LG tv and watch netflix over it (which I wanted), there is a chance i got the ff lip sync problem.

So in a way, all the problems mentioned in the topic are on paper, not that of a problem. Just like you said, who cares your app doesn't use eARC, you'll get Atmis anyway. But in use, it really just isn't what we want. If you pay premium, give us premium.

Highlighted
Navigator

@Frans83 wrote:

@Mike_kr wrote:


I can't call myself an expert, but I am pretty sure that eARC isn't something that needs to be supported by apps like Netflix. eARC technology is associated with sending a signal from one device to another. Netflix makes no distinction between Dolby Atmos (ARC) and Dolby Atmos (eARC) video. If the video material is equipped with Dolby Atmos, then it is sent to the Soundbar, as long as it also supports Dolby Atmos. If, in addition, both devices are equipped with eARC technology, the audio material is sent with a faster bitrate than with ordinary ARC.


No it is indeed not like that, but when you want lossless audio and the lip sync, then you need eARC. 

So in a way, all the problems mentioned in the topic are on paper, not that of a problem.

 

Just like you said, who cares your app doesn't use eARC, you'll get Atmis anyway. But in use, it really just isn't what we want. If you pay premium, give us premium.


Sorry, but I really doubt that 3rd party app needs to support eARC. Apps has nothing to do with eARC. Certain app may or may not support Dolby Atmos. If you believe otherwise, please explain.

 

Also, keep in mind that in some cases eARC is not only about losless audio. I have HW-Q80R soundbar connected directly to the TV so I'm not able to get losless audio anyway. But what really matters to me are lip sync improvements in eARC over regular ARC technology.

Highlighted
Explorer

@Mike_kr wrote:


Sorry, but I really doubt that 3rd party app needs to support eARC. Apps has nothing to do with eARC. Certain app may or may not support Dolby Atmos. If you believe otherwise, please explain.

 

Also, keep in mind that in some cases eARC is not only about losless audio. I have HW-Q80R soundbar connected directly to the TV so I'm not able to get losless audio anyway. But what really matters to me are lip sync improvements in eARC over regular ARC technology.


No the apps don't need eARC. The apps need an Atmos tv and if you want the Atmos sound over an AVR or soundbar, they need Atmos. Thing is...if the signal is sent and received through any other way then eARC, you don't have the lossless Atmos signal. And like I said, for audiophiles or people who wanted to play safe and are misinformed, this does matter to them. But maybe more the lip sync problem. The app indeed doesn't need eARC support. The lip sync correction/solution does. I don't know the correct name for this technoligy, but the 'new' and working solution for this problem, is through an eARC connection.

Highlighted
Apprentice

this issue is discussed in this thread. I'm not personally worried about lossy/lossless through streaming services like Netfilx etc, as I said, I download all my UHD/Atmos movies (at proper 4K) and watch them locally through Plex. If the integrated LG Plex App cannot send the lossless Atmos over its e-arc, then it will send it using a lossy compression over DD. I don't know why some of you are being argumentative ...the LG is meant to support e-arc ...it's a STANDARD ...in my eyes it is either meant to support it FULLY, or not at all!

 

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver/p2

Highlighted
Explorer

@slim_shady wrote:

this issue is discussed in this thread. I'm not personally worried about lossy/lossless through streaming services like Netfilx etc, as I said, I download all my UHD/Atmos movies (at proper 4K) and watch them locally through Plex. If the integrated LG Plex App cannot send the lossless Atmos over its e-arc, then it will send it using a lossy compression over DD. I don't know why some of you are being argumentative ...the LG is meant to support e-arc ...it's a STANDARD ...in my eyes it is either meant to support it FULLY, or not at all!

 

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver/p2


When u use the word 'argumentative' like that, it's like your saying we're being ignorant to the truth. Truth is, people were promised eARC and they don't have it. If people want it, it is their right to do so. This is where are 'argumentative' disscussion started. 

We are not being 'argumentative' over 'If the integrated LG Plex App cannot send the lossless Atmos over its e-arc, then it will send it using a lossy compression over DD'. This is not an argument. We all know this, but that was the point. People were promised lossless audio by samsung with eARC and did not get is. LG advertises with eARC tv's and when interested you look it up what this means. And yeah! That is what we want. But then it turns out, the eARC will be used as ARC when using tv apps. This is just stupid and wrong. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

@Frans83 wrote:


When u use the word 'argumentative' like that, it's like your saying we're being ignorant to the truth. Truth is, people were promised eARC and they don't have it. If people want it, it is their right to do so. This is where are 'argumentative' disscussion started. 

We are not being 'argumentative' over 'If the integrated LG Plex App cannot send the lossless Atmos over its e-arc, then it will send it using a lossy compression over DD'. This is not an argument. We all know this, but that was the point. People were promised lossless audio by samsung with eARC and did not get is. LG advertises with eARC tv's and when interested you look it up what this means. And yeah! That is what we want. But then it turns out, the eARC will be used as ARC when using tv apps. This is just stupid and wrong. 


lol Frans ...clearly not referring to you!! ...I think we're quite plainly in agreement

Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator

@Soul_ wrote:

Hey AntS,

Do you know if eARC for soundbars is coming? A german mod mentioned that eARC for TVs is coming on a TV thread. So, wanted to see if yu can check in and see if the same is happening for Soundabrs. 


Hi Soul_,

 

We can't speak for other countries, but we've asked our UK & Ireland TV tech colleagues if they're able to clarify the situation at least for UK & Ireland users. Once we get an update on that, we'll share. 


 Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.


Highlighted
Explorer

@AntS wrote:

@Soul_ wrote:

Hey AntS,

Do you know if eARC for soundbars is coming? A german mod mentioned that eARC for TVs is coming on a TV thread. So, wanted to see if yu can check in and see if the same is happening for Soundabrs. 


Hi Soul_,

 

We can't speak for other countries, but we've asked our UK & Ireland TV tech colleagues if they're able to clarify the situation at least for UK & Ireland users. Once we get an update on that, we'll share. 


Thank you @AntS 

Not to add to your work, but if you could check with the Soundbar guys as well (for eARC availability on Q80 and Q90 Soundbars), it would be terrific.

Highlighted
Explorer

@slim_shady wrote:


lol Frans ...clearly not referring to you!! ...I think we're quite plainly in agreement


I am so sorry. I totally misread you. I'd could say that it's because engelish is not my native language, but maybe I was just being stupid haha. Anyway, my apologies.

Top Liked Authors