Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby TrueHD and eARC on Samsung Q80R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 10-01-2020 03:49 PM)
Mike_krk
Explorer
Options

Hi, since few days I am an owner of a Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar in pair with Philips 55OLED854 SmartTV. Searching the Internet back and forth I found no certain answer to the following problems:

1. Does Samsung HW-Q80R has ARC or eARC?
2. Does it support Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD?
3. If it does not have eARC, is it possible for Samsung to change it to eARC via firmware update?
4. Does it support DTS-HD or DTS-Master?

I also saw these topics:
and

And I do wonder: if I own a SmartTV with Netflix app installed (so TV is the only source), how can I "connect my source directly to soundbar and soundbar output to tv, so Sound will go out of soundbar without any lag, and video will pass through to tv"? Is it even possible in my configuration? What should I do to get the bes possible audio quality?

Best regards!
Mike
0 Likes
71 REPLIES 71
Frans83
Pioneer
Options
@Soul_ You said: 'During compression additional latency between audio and video gets added, this causes massive lip sync issues on consoles and pc which produce real time gaming footage in low latency.
eARC exists to negate the need for compression.'

This is totally true, but the OP has an LG C9 which has an earc. He also watches Netflix from the TV app, so no video is passing through, only the audio is send to the Atmos compatible Soundbar. Send through eARC, so no compression or lossy signal. In this case, would there still be a lip sync problem?
0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@Frans83 wrote:
@Soul_ You said: 'During compression additional latency between audio and video gets added, this causes massive lip sync issues on consoles and pc which produce real time gaming footage in low latency.
eARC exists to negate the need for compression.'

This is totally true, but the OP has an LG C9 which has an earc. He also watches Netflix from the TV app, so no video is passing through, only the audio is send to the Atmos compatible Soundbar. Send through eARC, so no compression or lossy signal. In this case, would there still be a lip sync problem?

eARC requires a two way handshake. If recieveing party is not eARC compatible, it falls back to ARC. So, in this case even if C9 tries to communicate via eARC, but since the soundbar only accepts ARC, it will fallback to ARC (so compressed, lossy, and possibly with lip sync issues).

0 Likes
slim_shady
Journeyman
Options

@Frans83 wrote:

@slim_shady wrote:

the SL10YG doesn't support e-arc either, and doesn't have the sound quality of the hw-q80r (the speakers are much smaller), and the Sony HT-ST5000 is coming up to 2 years old now, and doesn't support e-arc either. All the reviews complimented the Atmos quality on the hw-q80r, but without the ability to pass atmos through the arc channel is ridiculous! I'm not wasting £1000 on old outdated tech! shame on you Samsung!!

(sorry, it looks like the Sony had the e-arc f/w update, but anyway, has no options to add rear speakers at later date)

Atmos is passable through ARC, but it's lossy, compressed and wrapped in the DD+ signal and in use, it is said to be not noticeble.

I think you're missing the point a bit! e-arc was created to overcome bandwidth limitations. Many people bought TVs/Soundbars to get the latest tech and have lossless audio. What's the point in spending a premium to get old tech? ...it just makes no sense! I use the Plex app on my TV to play 4k/atmos/HDR movies from my local server, and was looking at spening £3k on upgrading the TV and sounbar to get all the latest features.... what's wrong with wanting to make an informed, sensible purchase where there is a certain amount of future-proofing built in?

Soul_
Pioneer
Options

Hey AntS,

Do you know if eARC for soundbars is coming? A german mod mentioned that eARC for TVs is coming on a TV thread. So, wanted to see if yu can check in and see if the same is happening for Soundabrs. 

0 Likes
Frans83
Pioneer
Options
@ Soul_ wrote:
eARC requires a two way handshake.

No way! I was looking in to soundbars with Atmos, because my AVR is broke. I did have a big surround setup, with very big speakers in a small living room (the Netherlands) and 2 small children. So it would be practical for me to ditch the surround set and get a soundbar. But soundwise I don't like to compromise that much. So I went on the internet and looked for something like a soundbar with Atmos. But with all the facts, there was still not a good clear view of what I am getting, so I went to the local electronics store and e-ARC also came up and being future-proof focused as I am, I mentioned that in the next 12 months or so I will also be buying another TV. They assured me that if the TV has Atmos and eARC, I will have the absolute best/full/riches Atmos expierence possible, without compromise.
Because of this reassurance I've been looking and reading my *ss of to find the best soundbar possible for me. (because they are out of my budget, I really have to justify myself to buy such a pricey soundbar and not just get another AVR)
But if what the 'experts' told me isn't true, only the Sony HT-ST500 will do, but, this one isn't expandable with 2 surround back speakers. So....the system I am looking for, doesn't exists yet. Does this mean I have to make compromises or just wait till the system does exist, eventhough my AVR is broke at this moment?

Also....how do you quote someone like you did me?
0 Likes
Frans83
Pioneer
Options
@ slim_shady wrote:

what's wrong with wanting to make an informed, sensible purchase where there is a certain amount of future-proofing built in?

Totally true and you are right. I was more busy finding my way through al the facts and non-facts and then I read 'without the ability to pass atmos through the arc' I thought, for who people don't mind the lossy ATMOS signal, this isn't entirely true.
Still I totally agree with you
0 Likes
Frans83
Pioneer
Options
@Soul_ Wrote:

Sony added earc in summer 2019 via firmware update to their capable sound bars.

Really? Can't find such info on the dutch sony site. Can it be, we get it later or is it just bad communication and we also have this update?
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Look folks, if you want to achieve something, you need to be loud. We need tech sites to write about this problem. For now, please spam all these Twitter accounts with following hashtags: #earcWithersGate #earcSamsungGate

@StephenWithers

@Anonymous User

@SamsungUS

@SamsungUK

@SamsungSupport

@SamsungTV

Like:

@StephenWithers @Anonymous User @SamsungUS @SamsungUK @SamsungSupport @SamsungTV Where is the promised eARC support for 2019 TV's & Soundbar's top models? We feel cheated! #earcWithersGate #earcSamsungGate

0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@Frans83 wrote:
@ Soul_ wrote:
eARC requires a two way handshake.

No way! I was looking in to soundbars with Atmos, because my AVR is broke. I did have a big surround setup, with very big speakers in a small living room (the Netherlands) and 2 small children. So it would be practical for me to ditch the surround set and get a soundbar. But soundwise I don't like to compromise that much. So I went on the internet and looked for something like a soundbar with Atmos. But with all the facts, there was still not a good clear view of what I am getting, so I went to the local electronics store and e-ARC also came up and being future-proof focused as I am, I mentioned that in the next 12 months or so I will also be buying another TV. They assured me that if the TV has Atmos and eARC, I will have the absolute best/full/riches Atmos expierence possible, without compromise.
Because of this reassurance I've been looking and reading my *ss of to find the best soundbar possible for me. (because they are out of my budget, I really have to justify myself to buy such a pricey soundbar and not just get another AVR)
But if what the 'experts' told me isn't true, only the Sony HT-ST500 will do, but, this one isn't expandable with 2 surround back speakers. So....the system I am looking for, doesn't exists yet. Does this mean I have to make compromises or just wait till the system does exist, eventhough my AVR is broke at this moment?

Also....how do you quote someone like you did me?

I have have two young kids and this is exactly why I got a Soundbar for my family room. We are both in the same boat. I am just like you and did a ton of research, because money doesnt grow on trees. And Q80 has been my regret so far, due to the lack of eARC, even though all the freaking reviewers priomised eARC in summer, and some like Withers even said that eARC is already supported.

It is an absolute ***** show. The only eARC capable SBs right now are the 2020 LG ones and 2018 Sony. If Sony can update their 2018 SB to support eARC, why the **** cant Samsung update their 2019 SB with eARC. I apologise, I am quite pissed.

As for quoting, when you click reply on somepone's post, on the next page there is a quote button above the text box.

0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@Frans83 wrote:
@Soul_Wrote:

Sony added earc in summer 2019 via firmware update to their capable sound bars.

Really? Can't find such info on the dutch sony site. Can it be, we get it later or is it just bad communication and we also have this update?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/00015967

Release Date

• 04-02-2019

Applicable Models

This information is for the following models:

• HT-X9000F

IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Improves HDMI® connectivity
Previous Benefits and Improvements
  • Fixes an issue where a sound is heard when exiting some PlayStation®4 games
  • Adds support for the eARC feature.
    Notes:
    • eARC is a new HDMI 2.1 standardized function which adds support for the latest audio formats, in addition to audio formats supported by the existing Audio Return Channel (ARC) function.
    • The eARC feature allows you to enjoy lossless object-based audio content such as Dolby Atmos® with Dolby TrueHD® and DTSX®, or multi-channel LPCM content that cannot be transmitted with the ARC function.
  • Improves connectivity with other manufacturer’s TVs

0 Likes