Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio lag on HW-Q70R

(Topic created on: 14-12-2019 05:19 PM)
Bentzi
Student
Options

I just bought a Q80R tv and a Q70R soundbar and I'm having audio lag issues with external devices when using any sort of surround options.

• All my devices are connected to the 'one connect' box (PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, set top box) and the soundbar is connected to the HDMI ARC port.
  • Setting the PS4 and cable box to Dolby Digital creates an audio lag that is very noticeable. Watching Netflix through the TV has no issues.
  • The sync settings on both the TV and soundbar were already set to 0 so I can't even adjust it through there. 

If I connect the PS4 directly to the soundbar then it works fine but the TV doesn't recognize the device and doesn't optimize it to gaming mode automatically (also since there's only one input on the soundbar it leaves the other devices with the same problem.

This is very dissapointing, I spent quite a bit of money on this setup and it's ridiculous that such an issue occurs as this is the whole point of the products.

50 REPLIES 50
fry19
Apprentice
Options

I just wanted to chime in and add the fact that I have the exact same problem with the Q90R TV connected to a completely different AV Receiver (Integra brand). So I don't think it is an issue with this specific receiver but a problem with the TV itself. I seriously hope this will be adressed as this is a clear issue. Was playing God of War (PS4) and it is very obvious when there is dialog as the mouth movement don't match the sound (and non existent problem if PS4 connected direcly to receiver). I am in Game Mode with everything turned off (no processing) and output to optical / dolby digital with 0 for delay.

dtefft620
Pioneer
Options

I have been on the phone with samsung all week over this. Tech support did conclude it is the TV causing the problem. They were going to send a tech to my house to work on it but don't have any available in my area. I spent another 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday againg after they left a voicemail saying they dont have a replacement for it either. I'm very dissapiointed in this product. I wanted the best and ended up with something unusable. The last resort was for them to give my money back. I don't care about money back, I want a woking Samsung TV. I want the product I payed for. Currently I am awaiting a call back to see if they can upgrade me to a different model that they do have in their warehouse.  I would like to add that I have a 65" Vizio that cost $600 hooked to a $1,500 Yamaha Aventage 7.2 Receiver that has never had this problem or any problem at all. Crazy that a TV that cost so much would have this problem. The picure on the samsung is amazing if we could just get a sound fix!

fry19
Apprentice
Options
@dtefft620 Yes it is very frustrating (in my case 82" / $4500 TV) to have this issue with sound. I actually find it completely disingenuous that they advertise this series of TV as "Made for gaming" when the sound has a lag whether you use their own soundbar or any other receiver...
kammyTT
First Poster
Options

I can't even send an email as the blooming captcha security wont accept my answer 🤦🏼‍♂️

0 Likes
MrTest
Explorer
Options
Complete disconnection from their marketing. In addition they claim:

"Seamless connections - QLED can be the center of a new and more convenient connected lifestyle. It integrates seamlessly with soundbars, smart speakers and mobile devices."

Hopefully the more we talk about these issues the more they can see how we feel.
0 Likes
kprzybyl
Apprentice
Options

Same issue with the Q80 TV/ HW-Q70R/ZA Soundbar... will watch this for hopefully an update/acknowledgement.

0 Likes
dtefft620
Pioneer
Options
That is the exact same setup I have.
0 Likes
DolphinDan
First Poster
Options

When watching cable, basically had to switch the sound bar settings to PCM and then set the Dolby Atmos to off..... I guess that I will need to put these settings back if I’m watching something like Netflix or other apps (if needed).

0 Likes
vladlenas
Apprentice
Options

Samsung soundbar hw-Q70R has problems with audio lag. Found the cause of audio lags. If applications do not support auto frequency switching such as YouTube, Netflix and some IPTV applications, the sound begins to lag and stutter. if you watch the video from an application with support for auto frequency switching, then there are no problems with sound.

Tested on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and Amazon Fire TV 4K with direct connection to the soundbar.

Sounds like a big mistake from Samsung.)

Now the question is how soon will this be fixed in the firmware? 

fry19
Apprentice
Options

I have done further testing using a audio/video test. Although this is not a scientific test (recorded with my cell phone), I think it clearly demonstrates what the problem is (and how bad it is). In the 3 videos linked, you are seeing a PS4 Pro playing a video (via the YouTube PS4 app). The PS4 Pro is connected to a Samsung Q90R 82" (brand new) TV via an HDMI cable. In order to really see the issue, you may need to raise the volume quite high (unclear why the phone didn't pick better sound), and loop the video (right click/select loop) and set playback speed at 0.25.

Fist link: the best case scenario: Samsung Q90R / Receiver => hardly any delay

* PS4 (Pro) connected to TV via HDMI cable
* PS4 connected to receiver via optical cable
* PS4 is set to audio output optical / Dolby (Bitstream)

Second link: PCM: Samsung Q90R / TV PCM => shows a sligh delay ~100ms which is not that much noticeable in real life

* TV connected to receiver via optical cable
* TV is set to optical out / PCM
* PS4 is set to audio output HDMI out / Dolby (Bitstream)

Third link: Dolby: Samsung Q90R / TV Dolby  => shows a huge delay (~300ms) which is extremely noticeable when playing a game (for example when dialog, lips don't match sound, or hitting your sword against a wall trigger the sound too late)

* TV connected to receiver via optical cable
* TV is set to optical out / Dolby digital
* PS4 is set to audio output HDMI out / Dolby (Bitstream)

I think this test is pretty revealing of the huge delay issue introduced by the TV when set to Dolby (although there is a delay when set to PCM, it is much harder to notice in practice). I know that this thread was started because of issue with the Samsung Soundbar, but this test uses a different receiver and in my mind it clearly shows that it is a problem with the TV not the soundbar.

0 Likes