Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 13-12-2019 01:14 PM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
Onefinerico
Apprentice
Options

Here is what I did it seemed to work so far. I paid 50.00 for a 25 foot optic cable.   I left everything wired up like it was, since the geek from Best Buy wired it all up for me.  But I went out and bought the optic cable and ran it from my TV to my receiver and then I went in the receiver and change the settings to optic cable and changed setting in TV too.  Hope this helps everyone. Good luck!!!!

0 Likes
kraM1t
Explorer
Options
That's just using optical, which works fine. We're talking about using ARC so we can control the volume with the standard TV remotes.

As we say it works if you power cycle the TV and soundbars or disable and enable ANYNET, but going into standby causes them to disconnect and unable to pair again until either of the solutions above are done
0 Likes
decadentdave
Journeyman
Options
The problem with going optical out for audio is that it will not pass Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio over optical. Those are HDMI only.
lukaszzyla
Pioneer
Options

Guys this is ridiculous.

I have q6f 82" and onkyo rz900 and same issue. My logitech harmony was just destroyed by my 1.5 year old daughter and I wished I didn't have to buy a new one (200 eur) but it seems to be only solution so far.

Power cycling works more less fine for a day or two but I still have issues and cant use one remote from my tv which is small and nice and I like it. What can we do for samsung to fix this problem? It is the same problem for years now.

I think that a small software fix is required but samsung just doesn't care. If I only knew I would probably go for LG.

Is there a way we all could send a problem report somewhere and make them start working on it? Should we use our warranty rights? How to deal with them?

kraM1t
Explorer
Options

All channels of contacting Samsung and reporting this has been brick walled, they just want to send engineers out to replace the main board but that isn't the problem. And the engineers never report back to the software guys so it never gets fixed.

Terribly mangaged company 

my2cents
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem.

These threads both in the US community and in the EU portal are just breathtaking. In a way interesting reading, but for not so good reasons. (FYI: masters degree in electronics, but not a daily electronic engineer)

I know that my TV has no warranty, is a older model and I have no intention of turning for support from Samsung. But made the account just to describe a solution (at the end of the post) i found relatively well working. Making an hard reset relay, to drain the devices of power for resetting over night would be an option as well, but found a way for a small inconienence to go without additional devices, relays, schedules, complications.

Model code: UE40D6570WSXXH, firmware ver.: up to date according to TV

- Has one HDMI input from cable digital tv box (HDMI 1 DVI) 

- Bought a JBL 3.1 soundbar in August 2019, made ARC HDMI connection to respective ports on both ends

- Worked relatively well, after a while noticed a lot of clichi noises when the video feed had tranformations over a blank screen between scenes. Like the audio feed stopped and as it did it made a "clich" sound and then as new scene started another "clich" started with the audio feed again.

- Tought that something going on with soundbar and probably should chase a warranty case for it.

- Using any other input method on soundbar results in high quality pure audio without any cliches as described before.

- The cable box was outdated and up for a change by the cable company.

- December 2019 - Cable guy came and replaced the box with a newer model.

- EVERYTHING WORKED FINE!

- As you guess by now, only up until the end of first power cycle.

- After which the new power cycles resulted in following: sound stayed for about 15 seconds through the soundbar and then muted, then for a few seconds and muting, until finally turning on all devices from the cable box remote, no sound at all. Not a beep.

- Draining the power from all devices with different combinations options (HDMI CEC on/off, etc), yielded some quickly fading results.

- SAMSUNG, own up to the mess you have caused among customers. Denying the problem and making customers go through resultless troubleshooting procedures and ignoring  the problem will not make it go away.

- Probably you (SAMSUNG) are well aware of the problem, which seems to be a archidectual chipset issue, as customers through out similiar community forum threads have hundreds of times described their frustration with the described feature of their products ACROSS DIFFERENT AND EVER NEWER AND MORE EXPENSIVE MODELS of high end tv sets.
- Really WTF (to express my personal despair)

- Changed HDMI cable between TV and soundbar for a 5m one i have laying around just in case want to extend my laptop desktop to the TV. Having done this, for some unknown reason, TV started to stream sound to the soundbar. For a while. Then it stopped again.

- Bought brand new HDMI 2.1 cables to ensure high quality connections between cable box and tv and soundbar and tv, did not help.

- Read about users turning off their audio receiver HDMI CEC or ARC  option along with the TV and then further draining them all of power for resetting.

- Was wondering if the soundbar has options to turn off these.

https://www.jbl.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwfcf5d725/pdfs/JBL_Ba...

- page 4 illustrates an external HDMI device being connected to soundbar HDMI input 1, and ARC HDMI connected to TV

- get an idea for testing this setup with the cable box

MY SOLUTION:

- connect cable box HDMI to soundbar HDMI 1, and soundbar ARC to TV ARC

option 1: TV CEC is turned off, cable box remote turns on the cable box and soundbar to HDMI input 1, must turn TV on from its remote, tv source to HDMI 2, Tv sound to mute. Cable box sound is flawlessly produced through soundbar, picture is displayed on tv. Box remote turns off soundbar and box but not TV.

option 2 (using currently): TV CEC is turned on, box remote turns on all deviced, soundbar automatically selects source as ARC, one click on the soundbar source button changes it to correct HDMI 1, but THATS IT! Just an additional click on the soundbar remote source button, and everything works with quality sound and video. Also note that the TV sound level is turned to zero, otherwise it too would produce sound. (When streaming something to the TV must change soundbar source to ARC. see edit 2.) The solution is my personal way of combining cable box, soundbar and samsung tv. 

DL;DR: SAMSUNG has really messed up, there are few tolerable workarounds.

edit 1: moved the "my solution" clause above the description of the connections setup to make it clearly as a part of the solution.

edit 2: was cheering too early about the streaming to the tv part. For example streaming from NAS results in no audio if selecting input ARC on soundbar. Probably will opt for optical cable. Heading out to the shops. Possibly returning with a tv from another manufacturer.

0 Likes
kraM1t
Explorer
Options

Yeah the full power drain works every time, but it doesnt quite solve it for me. The TV is my parents and they have no idea about this stuff.

Anyway the soundbar I have when it loses power completely it will sometimes power back on in Arc mode but other times Bluetooth so they're left with it working sometimes and sometimes it just switches to TV speaker which sounds nasty.

As soon as I change the source on the soundbar it instantly picks up the TV and switches the audio fine. This all works fine until the TV is put into Standby again.

At this point I've given up and every morning before I leave for work I have to just renable CEC and manually change it so when they use it it's working. Never buying another Samsung product again that's for sure.

It annoys me the most that they just ignore us, if they came out and admitted it can't be fixed it wouldn't be so bad.

Gonzogar
First Poster
Options

***** I wished I read this topics before buying my TV... this has been a pain in the ass really, I have my new TV Q80R for about 2 weeks now and my Home Theater is an Onkyo 3910.

When I first connected everything, it was all good with my Setup:

- PS4, Mi Box S and cable box directly to TV.

- Nintendo Switch connected to Onkyo AVR (Nintendo doesn't passthrough audio other than PCM, so it would be stereo only through ARC)

ARC was working allright with Anynet+ ON, but somehow my GF pressed something on the AVR remote and turned it off. After that the problem started, when I realised that the audio only came from the TV (Netflix, Prime, etc), but the Nintendo Switch was playing 5.1 allright.

After messing around I finally came with the unplugging solution (just the TV, you don't need to unplug anything else).

After that the steps are:

First solution

1.- Unplug and replug the TV

2.- Turn it on and check the HDMI 4 (ARC) on the TV, if sound doesn't directly output from AVR, then press config on the AVR remote and go to system -> initial setup -> setup ARC

Second Solution:

1.- Disable Anynet+ CEC from the TV then enable it again.

2.- On the AVR, go to initial setup -> setup ARC on the AVR menu (HDMI 4).

However, after trying this last solution, everytime I turn Off my TV it turns itself (along with the AVR) ON again, BUT with audio only coming from the TV and I have to do it all again. Is really a pain, because I have to turn the TV OFF 2 times every FAKKIN time and then reconfigure ARC every FAKKIN time I turn it ON.

The other thing is, if you for example, turn on only the AVR and output music from bluetooth or a different source and then turn on the TV, you'll lose connection and will have to do everything again (this happens always).

Some say that the PS4 causes more problems, gonna try with it connected to the AVR and check if something changes.

If anything else fails I'll try with the timer plug thing, but sometimes I still have to reconfigure everything after the reset.

And I am 3 days past the return time (10 days)... I WANNA KILL  MYSELF

0 Likes
kraM1t
Explorer
Options

I'd try to insist on returning it, most stores are actually 30 days here in the UK by law, not sure where you are.

You have the exact same issue as all of us and it won't be fixed, it's bee reported since early 2017 with no official reply.

0 Likes
Gonzogar
First Poster
Options

I live in Chile, and most stores give you 30 days, but just the store I bought changed its policy recently to only 10 days. And as they don't have a legal obligation to accept the return I'm stuck with it...

Maybe I can claim the warranty but that means Tech support, no TV for X weeks and they saying "everything" works fine...

0 Likes