Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 29-10-2019 01:43 PM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
cobi2
Apprentice
Options

For what it's worth.... I took the guys advice from early in this thread somewhere and decided to try a Caavo Control Center.  I had just given up using my soundbar (unless I decided to manually switch over using optical for movies, etc..).  

Anyway, I ran out of HDMI ports and was looking to get a HDMI switcher anyway.  A basic switcher device was the same price or more than the Control Center ($60) so I bought one.  Since setting it up I have had access to my soundbar with no issues (can't remember off the top of my head if I am using the HDMI or optical for the soundbar.... pretty sure it is HDMI).  Either way it WORKS!

I am actually using  my cable box remote 90% of the time (my wife doesn't like change) and it uses the TV volume.  When it comes time for movies I just turn the TV down and use the Caavo remote to swap inputs (voice or via remote) and turn up the soundbar volume.  No unplugging, resetting, etc....  I think I bought it about 2 months ago?

Caavo walks you through everything step by step during setup and has a few good videos online.  You DO seem to have to setup an account initially and tie it into a CC for the $2 monthly fee for the voice commands (30 day free trial), but you can cancel after initial setup (I haven't yet).

I was skeptical, but so far so good.  Worth a try, especially if you need an additional HDMI port anyway.

0 Likes
Augustof3
Journeyman
Options
I have the same problem with my 82 q70 qled, did you solve the problem?
0 Likes
Raspel
Explorer
Options

Samsung does not want and cannot solve it. . Hear only excuses (incompatibility of other manufacturers) and attempts of users (Cavo, Harmony, replace cables ...). This is a long-standing problem for several TV models - at least 7 years.
I use Harmony Elite and reboot with switched sockets every night.

I don't believe they'll ever get it right. It makes me nervous or/and it pisses me off.

Home appliances:
3pcs AR9..., UE65MU7002, BD-H6500, UE46F6510, Galaxy A50.....
(Onkyo TX-RZ830, TX-NR-709 and 701, NVIDIA Shield, VU+ SOLO 4K, PS3...)
kraM1t
Explorer
Options

Just got a RU7100 and this issue is ridiculous. I've tried multiple sound bars now including a Samsung one and it's the same ***** when using ARC. It works fine until the TV is switched off then it loses connection with the soundbar and reverts to TV Speaker until I go into Settings > External device manager > Toggle Anynet HDMI-CEC off and on and then I go to Audio and the Receiver (HDMI) now appears and works fine until the next time I turn off the TV.

I've contacted Samsung Live chat multiple times, they've done factory resets, hdmi resets etc etc none of it works. I've asked to speak to a manager/engineer who writes the firmware updates, no luck. I contacted them on multiple twitter accounts for Samsung and only got told they'll pass my messages along which is just a fob off.

All Samsung support acts like they've never heard of this issue before yet here's this massive thread dating back years. 

Obviously a firmware fix isn't coming so it must be a hardware fault and that's why it's ignored. Does anybody have any contacts in higher places like LinusTechTips / Jayztwocentz so they can be made aware of this? It's the only time companies like this listen, when somebody with a huge audience speaks negatively of them. 

Sigh...

This is in stark contrast to Hisense (where this is a non issue BTW), that TV had a problem with losing the WiFi password on every power cycle, I contacted them via live chat, they sent a Firmware update on USB the next day in the post with a fix, fantastic customer service. 

Really annoyed now, I can't even return the TV as I used the standard speakers for like 60 days before buying a soundbar so I'm past the 30 day return to the store. 

Anjerlaan
Journeyman
Options

@kraM1t wrote:

Just got a RU7100 and this issue is ridiculous. I've tried multiple sound bars now including a Samsung one and it's the same ***** when using ARC. It works fine until the TV is switched off then it loses connection with the soundbar and reverts to TV Speaker until I go into Settings > External device manager > Toggle Anynet HDMI-CEC off and on and then I go to Audio and the Receiver (HDMI) now appears and works fine until the next time I turn off the TV.

I've contacted Samsung Live chat multiple times, they've done factory resets, hdmi resets etc etc none of it works. I've asked to speak to a manager/engineer who writes the firmware updates, no luck. I contacted them on multiple twitter accounts for Samsung and only got told they'll pass my messages along which is just a fob off.

All Samsung support acts like they've never heard of this issue before yet here's this massive thread dating back years. 

Obviously a firmware fix isn't coming so it must be a hardware fault and that's why it's ignored. Does anybody have any contacts in higher places like LinusTechTips / Jayztwocentz so they can be made aware of this? It's the only time companies like this listen, when somebody with a huge audience speaks negatively of them. 

Sigh...

This is in stark contrast to Hisense (where this is a non issue BTW), that TV had a problem with losing the WiFi password on every power cycle, I contacted them via live chat, they sent a Firmware update on USB the next day in the post with a fix, fantastic customer service. 

Really annoyed now, I can't even return the TV as I used the standard speakers for like 60 days before buying a soundbar so I'm past the 30 day return to the store. 

I have a different setup but the same kind of issue:

Media Box (TV Channel Provider), Raspberry Pi (KODI) and PS4 devices -> Yamaha Receiver --> Samsung TV QLED 5570R
Receiver and TV are connected with a high speed HDMI 2.0b cable in the correct HDMI-ARC ports of both devices.

When I want to listen radio with the Media Box (which has Radio apps), the TV doesn't need to be turned on.

But when I turn it off the HDMI signal on the Receiver is lost (i.o.w. no audio) after 10s.

When I Turn on the TV the signal returns.

I didn't have this issue with my recently replaced old Panasonic TV

When I turn off Anynet+ in the samsung TV, no HDMI signal is lost.

However I need HDMI-ARC (transfers Dolby Atmos audio codecs) for the Netflix app in the TV

So I think it must be a software error.

0 Likes
kraM1t
Explorer
Options

Here's a chat transcript of the 3rd Samsung Support live chat I've had regarding this issue, yet they still claim nobody has reported this before lmao, I didn't want to be such a you knoe what in the chat but it's really annoying now with no fix in sight.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

0 Likes
cobi2
Apprentice
Options

Good stuff... haha. It's frankly shocking (or not really...) everyone gets the same "we haven't heard of this" garbage. Nobody in your organization has read the TOP thread in your AV commnunity forum that happens to have 17+ pages of complaints?  Not a single one of your techs managed to get word up the chain of command that they waste their time going out on these calls constantly?

It's pretty apparent they are unable or unwilling to fix the issue and are just playing dumb and hoping it will eventually go away. I can guarantee based on how this issue has been handled I will never again spend my money (or the companies money) on another Samsung product. Too bad as I have had really good luck with my Samsung phones.  This isn't even my first Samsung TV issue!  I was dumb enough to give them another try.... I had one that turned itself on randomly (in our bedroom...... it's a little freaky in the middle of the night).  Exchanged it, same exact problem on the next one.  Exchanged a second time for another brand and lo and behold problem solved.

So when is the inevitable class action lawsuit? Sign me up!

decadentdave
Journeyman
Options

Lol I just got a check from the Sony Playstation class action settlement for a whopping $3.67 not even enough to buy me a cup of coffee for the inconvenience and my time filling out all of the claims paperwork.

0 Likes
cobi2
Apprentice
Options
Yeah, I figured that's probably about what happens, I usually toss them in a trash can and don't waste my time. Usually it's something that didn't affect me anyway.

I may make an exception in this case.
0 Likes
Anjerlaan
Journeyman
Options
Samsung should have called it SEC (Samsung Electronics Control) instead of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)...First of all it is rather narcissistic to think that their device will become the HUB of the customer's audio / video system, at least that aggressively Anynet+ is programmed.

Of course you can disable Anynet +, but HDMI-ARC has become indispensable in recent years because of new audio codecs (Dolby Atmos) which cannot be sent via an optical cable to an external audio source.

Hopefully in the near future Samsung will stick to the philosophy of HDMI-CEC otherwise it makes little sense to make smart TVs. As a result, customers will look for devices from brands that do adhere to that philosophy. I think a properly functioning HDMI-ARC is becoming a must have for more and more customers.