Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 19-07-2019 07:43 PM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
Raspel
Explorer
Options

I have premium HDMI 2.1 - without differences. I have premium HDMI 2.1 - no differences. This is not the right way how to make HDMI-CEC function. Save the money.

Home appliances:
3pcs AR9..., UE65MU7002, BD-H6500, UE46F6510, Galaxy A50.....
(Onkyo TX-RZ830, TX-NR-709 and 701, NVIDIA Shield, VU+ SOLO 4K, PS3...)
0 Likes
SlawekM
Student
Options

I went briefly through this discussion trying to figure out whether there is a permanent fix for HDMI-CE ARC issue. Seams there's not such other than playing with unplugging all your AV equipment from power.

HOWEVER I got another solution for you. I've been using it for years (yes, for years with no fix or help from Samsung side). Maybe you can consider to use it. It requires to purchase an old, even ancient (15 years old) DVD player based on Mediatek MT1369 chipset. Not sure if other devices with Mediatek chip also works but my DVD with that chipset does. It might be challenging to find and purchase such old used DVD player depending on country you're living in but if you got lucky you can find it rather cheap (10-20$ I guess).

My setup is Samsung TV UE55F6770 (quite old) + Xbox360 + Xbox One + Cisco cable TV decoder + Sony Blu-ray + Yamaha Avantage Blu-Ray + DVD Player + Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V475.  All connected using HDMI. So like you can see is rater complicated. My Yamaha RX-V faces the same issue all of you are suffering from - HDMI-CEC/Anynet+/ARC just stopped working with no reason and TV can't detect it. 

But imagine - when my AV reciver is not detected by TV I just turn on my old DVD then press on TV remote the Source button, go to Tools icon (upper rigt corner on my TV screen), select Anynet menu and click to refresh. The TV will scan and detect all connected and powered on devices properly and turning back on the ARC feature on HDMI. And all starts to work just fine. The downside is that I need to do that almost every time I turn on the TV and want to have the sound through my AV receiver because I'm lazy enough to remove power from all these devices for couple of hours or so. I can fix it also another way - first turn on the DVD and then TV and Yamaha RX-V (it does't make difference if I turn on Yamaha first or the TV - the effect it the same). The ARC is just working fine and Yamaha RX-V receives the audio signal from TV.

So when someone tells you that there is no issue with your Samsung TV (all works like it supposed to), there is an issue with your other equipment or cable - don't belive it. That's a lie. There's for sure a bug in Samsung TV sets (not sure if it's firmware or hardware) and plugging in Mediatek based DVD can fix just like that.

Samsung engineers: I think you have something to investigate (and have the example of setup to reproduce the bug) and provide a fix.

SlawekM
Student
Options

I went briefly through this discussion trying to figure out whether there is a permanent fix for HDMI-CEC ARC issue. Seams there's not such other than playing with unplugging all your AV equipment from power.

HOWEVER I got another solution for you. I've been using it for years (yes, for years with no fix or help from Samsung side). Maybe you can consider to use it. It requires to purchase an old, even acient (15 years old) DVD player based on Mediatek MT1369 chipset. Not sure if other devices with different mediatek chip also works but my DVD does. It might be challenging to find and purchase such old used DVD player depending on country you're living in but if you got lucky you can find it rather cheap (10-20$ i guess).

My setup is Samsung TV UE55F6770 (quite old) + Xbox360 + Xbox One + Cisco cable TV decoder + Sony Blu-ray + Yamaha Avantage Blu-Ray + DVD Player + Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V475. All connected using HDMI. So like you can see is rater complicated. My Yamaha RX-V faces the same issue all of you are suffering from - HDMI-CEC/Anynet+/ARC just stopped working with no reason and TV can't detect it.

But imagine - when my AV reciver is not detected by TV I just turn on my old DVD then press on TV remote the Source button, go to Tools icon (upper rigt corner on my TV screen), select Anynet menu and click to refresh. The TV will scan and detect all connected and powered on devices properly and turning back on the ARC feature on HDMI. And all starts to work just fine. The downside is that I need to do that almost every time I turn on the TV and want to have the sound through my AV receiver because I'm lazy enough to remove power from all these devices for couple of hours or so. I can fix it also another way - first turn on the DVD and then TV and Yamaha RX-V (it does't make difference if I turn on Yamaha first or the TV - the effect it the same). The ARC is just working fine and AV receives the audio signal from TV.

So when someone tells you that there is no issue with your Samsung TV (all works like it supposed to), there is an issue with your other equipment or cable - don't belive it. There's for sure a bug in Samsung TV sets (not sure if it's firmware or hardware) and plugging in Mediatek based DVD can fix just like that.

Samsung engineers I think you have something to investigate (and have the example of setup to reprodece the bug) and provide a fix.

AmericanOppa
Journeyman
Options

UPDATE August4th ... Problem still has not been corrected!  Still have to reset the power to correct the problem every few Weeks or less.  I am starting to believe that this is a hardware issue with Samsung's chipset and this will NEVER be resolved.  

mi0831859
First Poster
Options
I am having the issue using an NU8000 with Onkyo NR646, I always thought it was a problem with my receiver until now. Samsung makes some good TVs however this issue will prevent people from further buying their stuffs. I am considering buying an LG TV and call it a day.
0 Likes
AndyNZ
Apprentice
Options

Hi everyone, just thought I'd share my experiences with this issue.

I recently discovered the pain of the intermittent lock-ups of HDMI-CEC (and simultanous failure of ARC) on my 55NU7400 after upgrading to a Pioneer VSX-832 AV receiver. I had previously been running with an older receiver that was only connected via an optical cable. In that former configuration, I was relying on HDMI-CEC for my Nvidia Shield and everything was working fine.

With my new set up however, everything works fine for a few days then randomly no more HDMI-CEC and no more sound (via ARC) until some sort of intervention (power cycling etc), as others have reported. Another oddity which typically manifests shortly before the complete CEC/ARC failure is the audio taking quite a long time to start working when switching on (from standby) to watch TV. The delay is somewhere in the ballpark of 30-90 seconds.

My configuration is canonical for a modern AV receiver, with my HDMI devices all connecting to the VSX-832 and a high-spec HDMI cable between the receiver and TV. I had been using ARC for the return audio initially but the frequency of failures drove me to reinstall the optical cable as it's one thing to lose CEC for a unified remote and another to lose sound from the TV completely. As to the remote, I generally use my Logitech Harmony 650 but am often forced to pick up my Shield's remote when CEC fails.

I'll add that one observation I've made is that properly setting up the 'Universal Remote' feature from the Samsung Menu to connect to a Home Theatre system + connected device (in my case the Shield) results in no HDMI-CEC pass-through to the Shield. It's only in the non-configured state (where my Pioneer AVR is detected as 'AV Receiver' by default) that this functionality correctly works.

To date, I have found one work-around that recovers my TV without pulling cables or switching things off at the wall, that is:-

Toggle the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) setting found in the following settings menu (may differ from model to model):

Settings - General - External Device Manger

Note: I usually return one level in the menu after turning the setting off, then re-enter 'External Device Manger' to turn it back on.

Given the above results in a full recovery from the CEC 'lockup', this workaround definitively rules out a hardware fault, or at least, a hardware fault that cannot be remedied from the television's firmware.

Things I have tried that have made no difference:

• Using an alternative high-spec HDMI cable
  • Turning off ARC and only using CEC both on HDMI1 (non-ARC) and HDMI3 (ARC enabled)
  • Ensuring the receiver is on first

[Update] I'm currently evaluating a work-around using a wallplug timer to hard reset my TV every night (with ARC enabled once more) in the hope that it prevents the issue from manifesting. I guess my hypothesis is that there's some kind of  deterioration effect during runtime leading to the intermittent failures rather than the issue being completely random, which the results should provide some clarity on.

Of course, it would be great if Samsung could improve the stability of HDMI-CEC on their TVs so that we wouldn't all have to spend hours crawling the internet for solutions to a firmware quality issue. Honestly, it's pretty disappointing to have to be considering 'hacks' to keep things going. As an ex-firmware engineer myself, I would suggest to Samsung that perhaps a well timed 're-init' of the HDMI-CEC driver after a warm start could resolve the issue given toggling the setting has never failed to recover CEC and ARC for me.

If anyone at Samsung is reading this, I'm happy to provide further help you want to reach out.

Note: I am based in New Zealand and have a local variant of the 55NU7400 television

eriksenthomas
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. But when i turn on my reciever first, it does not work at all.. I tried AndyNZ's solution by reentering the CEC setting. I then get an option to get sound throu HDMI, but it just dissapairs after 30 sec. Think of all the people that don't take they're time to troubleshoot and search on the internet for a fix. There is alot more people with this problem then on this forum.. Samsung, Get your sh*t together and fix your issue before you loose all your customers!

0 Likes
DanielM
Apprentice
Options

have the same problem. Called in and they asked me to simply power off and reset everything and it finally corrected the matter, but literally lasted 1 day. No rhyme or reason.

0 Likes
eriksenthomas
First Poster
Options
What did you have to reset? :smiling-face:
0 Likes
john022662
Pioneer
Options

All,

I have posted my solution several times. There currently is no reliable soution that works and uses the ARC and CEC Feature. I'm sorry for this and Samsung Sucks.

I use a Universal Remote (Caavo Control Center) and essentially only use the TV as a Monitor. I have a Roku, Samsung BR/Media Player, and X-Box plugged into the Caavo. The Caavo plugs into my AVR Onkyo, and my AVR Plugs into the Samsung QLED TV. Everthing works perfectly (HDR@60Hz, Dolby Atmos, One remote for all).

Thanks,

John

0 Likes