Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 02-07-2019 11:05 AM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
ChristoCoetzee
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung Q6 and Onkyo HT-R695 amp. 

Had the same issue after I upgraded to the Q6. 

After fiddling (again) with my setup, I found that disabling the 'HDMI UHD Color' for HDMI4 fixes this mostly for me.

0 Likes
Johnny_from_AZ
First Poster
Options

I found out something interesting today with my new UN50NU710D TV.  I got everything setup with just the OTA signal and my soundbar plugged in to HDMI3 (ARC); everything tested good. I then hooked up all of my other devices and the soundbar quit working. It didn't even show up as an option under the sound menu.

I disconnected everything but the OTA and the soundbar started working again. As it turns out, the ARC port stops working when I plug in a 4K HDMI switch - ROOFULL brand. Tried different cables but the HDMI switch is definitely the problem regardless of HDMI port (1 or 2). I have not tried a different brand.

Before I plug in the switch, volume up/down works. Plug in switch, volume up/down doesn't work. Unplug switch, volume up/down works. I don't even have to power cycle everything.

UPDATE: My PS4 is causing the issue. Looks like my only option is optical to soundbar while my PS4 is connected to the TV.

0 Likes
Cid33
First Poster
Options

hdmi due to hdmi 1.4 bandwith limitations

When arc arrived it only supports

dolby digital and dts @  5.1  24bit 48khz. 

Pcm @ 2 ch 96k

Dolby digital+ 6.1

(some tv and netflix uses dd+bfor a decoded atmos signal)

And incompatibility like this occurs.

With hdmi 2.1 we are getting Earc  (extended arc) wich can bitstream all formats. hdmi 2.0 can be upgraded via software to add Earc to hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2

So you are lucky onkyo might bless you with a firmware. 

My onkyo is not so lucky. You can check their support forum they have a list of recivers that will get uppgrades.

0 Likes
guarddog13
Apprentice
Options

@BUFree wrote:

Was working great, but wife and kids can't / won't remember.  It is a huge pain as my plug is also right behind mounted tv

Get Logitech Harmony Hub.

0 Likes
Kbdawg3
First Poster
Options

Same here.. my only fix is to power cycle the tv. 

0 Likes
guarddog13
Apprentice
Options

@Kbdawg3 wrote:

Same here.. my only fix is to power cycle the tv. 

Bufree pointed out if you always power the receiver on first and then tv and power down the tv first then the receiver it stops this. If you're apt to forget or family forgets then use really any universal remote and create a power off and on macro. However it would be best with nearly any harmony remote as you can specifically customize it to always power on and off things in order. I use the harmony hub and using it in this manner i havent had an error in days and it was happening literally daily or more before i changed my settings.

0 Likes
JN99
Journeyman
Options

It's sti.l only a temporary "fix".  The problem WILL come back!

0 Likes
Raspel
Explorer
Options

@guarddog13 

Can you post your activity settings on Harmony? 

Mine is:

1) Start Onkyo - set input

2) wait 3sec

3) Start Vu+

4) Start Tv

And sometime it goes with HDMI-CEC error.

Home appliances:
3pcs AR9..., UE65MU7002, BD-H6500, UE46F6510, Galaxy A50.....
(Onkyo TX-RZ830, TX-NR-709 and 701, NVIDIA Shield, VU+ SOLO 4K, PS3...)
0 Likes
guarddog13
Apprentice
Options

@Raspel wrote:

@guarddog13 

Mine is:

2) wait 3sec

3) Start Vu+

4) Start Tv

Screenshot_20190718-121400_Harmony.jpg

Screenshot_20190718-121409_Harmony.jpg

Its been working for nearly a week and because I have a presence sensors etc. My TV turns on and off A LOT and the issue hasn't creeped back up yet.

As an FYI The TV on/off switches at the bottom are home control switches. Those are smartthings switches that are the harmony activities. I added them as a workaround to make smartthings know immediately that an activity has switched or turned on/off as it delays via smartthings and i have my TV activity control parts of my smart home...so for the average persons purpose just ignore that switch.

0 Likes
guarddog13
Apprentice
Options

@Raspel wrote:

@guarddog13 

Mine is:

2) wait 3sec

3) Start Vu+

4) Start Tv

It shall be noted that I also ensured to go out and buy premium UHD Monster HDMI cables to replace some older cables in my system. 

0 Likes