Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 23-05-2020 10:45 PM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options
How did you update?

Spoke to Samsung says it won’t say earc on display
0 Likes
Agechamp
Student
Options
Via smart things.

Sub version is the 0240.0
0 Likes
Agechamp
Student
Options

I've got sub update 0240.0

When I press volume to illuminate the display then hold down, it flashed update, then turns off then back on and that's it. 

Any ideas?

0 Likes
hv25
Apprentice
Options

Agechamp....

I believe your Samsung TV currently has ARC support but no eARC support. You'll have to wait until Samsung generates new firmware update for your TV to allow for eACR support.

These are the audio capabilities of the Samsung Q70R (I believe your TV is similar).

Audio Passthrough 
ARC  Yes (HDMI 4)
eARC support No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC No
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical No

Just like the Q90R and the 2018 Samsung TVs, the Q70R doesn't support DTS passthrough, and doesn't support eARC. It likely does support lossy Atmos passthrough from Dolby Digital Plus sources, like the native Netflix app, because there's an Atmos option in its settings.
IonuAleman
First Poster
Options

For all of us with Q70/80/90R soundbars and TV's that will not get the eARC update the only solution to solve the HD sound formats (dts, dts:x, HD-MA, etc.)  Is a tv box. All these HD audio formats can be delivered to the soundbar from a good tv box via hdmi-in. Thats how solved this problem. Here you have a review on this https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/samsung/hw-q70r

0 Likes
emeric42
Explorer
Options

All, i am reading this thread all the week and i want to thank you all for your feedback.

Since i still don't have an eARC TV (i am still on LG C7), i will simply skip this update. I suffered from the disconnection so much before updating to 1007.9 fw, now my config works like a charm and i will not take the risk. Good luck to all who updated to this last update and got those issues back 😞

0 Likes
shinzune
Apprentice
Options
Ciao io ho un lg c8 e ti posso confermare che riconosce l'audio dolby atmos sia netflix che con amazon prime
0 Likes
went1
Explorer
Options

it says Earc on the bar's display. not the Tv's if that helps

0 Likes
jbdred
Journeyman
Options

I got my new LG CX set up yesterday and did have a little trouble getting eARC to show up even though tv was set to eARC.  Ended up doing a resetting the hdmi handshake by power down and disconnect from power  and then power on and connect hdmi.  Works fine now.

0 Likes
shinzune
Apprentice
Options
Ciao ma sai per caso se legge i formati dts HD master perché quando riproduco un film con quel formato, l'audio si sente basso rispetto al Dolby. Dovrebbe essere l'incontrario io provengo da Yamaha ysp 2700 e ti posso assicurare che legge tutti i formati tranne atmos e dts x, e quando guardavo un film in dts HD master spaccava di brutto. Con la YSP-2700 usavo ARC che legge tutti i formati audio
0 Likes