Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable battery

(Topic created on: 22-08-2017 05:09 PM)
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

I have lots of money but refuse to buy a smartphone without a removable battery.

The justifications I've heard border on the ridiculous such as the batteries are non-removable to keep the phone slim. Another ridiculous comeback is the "fast charge" reason. Frankly, there are times when I need to go from 5% battery to 100% in an instant and removable battery is the only way to achieve that end. Having two phones also isnt an option because certain apps cannot have the same user account on more than one phone.

The cynic in me tells me there is a more sinister reason for non-removable batteries, but I'll keep the conspiracy theories for another forum.

Now my Note 4, with its Snapdragon 805, is beggining to slow down. 

The question is, will I be stuck with a Note 4 until the end of time because Samsung force non-removable battery smartphones on us?

Here's an idea, why doesn't Samsung take a poll to see how many of its customers want removable batteries? Or better still, release both removable and non-removable units and see what the market wants.

Is it really about the wants of the market or are people just obedient consumers? I'd like to think there is hope.

And dont tell me about the LG with its removable battery, I'm just not interested.

38 REPLIES 38
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

I've never heard of those problems before. Besides, I'm sure those potential problems you have mentioned could be solved by those super inovative phone companies who are pushing non-future proof $1000 phones upon us.

bua
First Poster
Options

I agree with you 100%. What's the point of spending so much money on something that will only last a few years. I used to have a samsung galaxy s4 of which I felt does wonderful job for me. The camera was good enough, the startup time was quick, the OS responsive , and the size was perfect. I accidentally bought an external battery charger and another battery, and was too lazy to return it. That's when I realized how powerful it was having a second battery ready in your pocket. In canada, batteries died very quickly because of the cold. my friend's iphone all had those troubles while I enjoyed extended battery life because of the extra battery. It was super helpful. I only replaced it because the screen was broken beyond repairs.

Nexus 5x was my next phone but it's only been 2 years and already, the battery is dying within 4 hours with the same usage.  It's annoying because I'm not always in the office or somewhere that would let me recharge the phone. Charging while using doesnt seem to be doind good either because the phone gets overheated. Charging it for 3 hours brings it up about 20%. I really miss the flexibility that comes with the replaceable battery of galaxy s4.  Now what can I do other than tossing it out and buying a new one when the only problem is just the battery. Everything else is still greaat. Why waste so much for a wasted battery. 

Also, trust me, having non-replaceable battery doesnt always equal waterproofed phone. My old nexus5 died after being submerged in water. Actually, I could have save it in time as not that much damage has been done but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open this seemingly sealed tight case as it was not meant to be opened. Putting the phone in rice obviously werent helping. In the end, it died from being overheated. Waterproofing is not the excuse for having non replaceable battery

Trinimark
First Poster
Options

This manufacturer is going the way many others including car manufacturers are; and that is to make you pay for much more than you need to in order to keep their profit margins getting fatter and fatter. Generally the battery is the first component in a smartphone to wear out, so now instead of being able to replace your battery for a few dollars and breathe a few more years of life into your phone, you have to buy a whole new phone. Recently my Galaxy S3 that I've had since 2013 started misbehaving. I changed the battery and that solved the problem. If having a phone with a removable battery means switching brands then so be it; because I'm not one to remain loyal to a brand that is out to be unfair to its customers. Not to mention the huge environmental impact and waste of materials resulting from having to throw away an otherwise good phone just because the battery alone is worn out. 

Maylene
First Poster
Options

Sarahann
Student
Options

I still have mine too

Sarahann
Student
Options
The removable battery n water resistance r very important to me
Mdel326
Apprentice
Options

I saw the way the industry was going and I went from the Galaxy S4 to the LG G5. Which has a removable battery and has been generally good with a few quirks. If I can I will try to use this phone until 5G is rolled out nationwide. There are no new flagship phones being made with removable batteries these days. Any phone that has a removable battery is limited in both features, lower screen resolution or lower megapixel camera. They can say they make one but you will not want it because the camera will not be good or it won't be able to play the latest games etc. It is really planned obsolesence at its worst and I would prefer to buy an older flagship on ebay than a new removable battery phone that has been purposely downgraded to make it less appealling.

Vdub12
Apprentice
Options

I'm also still using a note4 because of the removable battery. If they don't release one with a removable battery soon I plan to buy another note4 with a few less hours on it. As some point I will be forced to move to a different brand. I will not use a phone without a removable battery .I have had to replace my battery 3 times in my note 4 because they only last about a year before the phone starts rebooting when you take a picture. I will not get stuck having to buy a new $1000 phone every year. Not going to happen. Batteries die and they need to be easily replaced .

DS56
First Poster
Options

I bought 2 new Motorola Turbo Droid 2's a year and a half ago....non replaceable batteries of course and I'm already having problems with mine just a year into using it...tried all the support options and hasn't helped.  I'm going back to a Samsung galaxay phone with a replaceable battery.  I'm on the go with a special needs child and I have to make sure I have a working phone ready anytime. 

Vdub12
Apprentice
Options

Ultimately that's the only reason why a manufacturer would get rid of the removable battery . I'm still using a Note 4 because I can replace the battery. The manufacturers want the phones to last less time so they can sell more phones .The fact that I've had to replace the battery 3 times in my Note 4 tells me that I will never use a phone without a removable battery . The cell phone batteries don't last more than a year and in that time you're typically still paying for the phone .